Follow me with Classic powered off

Started by dgd, March 25, 2013, 04:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

I am wiring up three Classics for Follow Me. Sometimes its necessary to power down a Classic. Question is will this disable the Follow me when one of the Classics in the loop is off?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Halfcrazy

Yes it basically breaks the loop if you will

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dgd

Thanks.
I sort of thought that may be the case. I think the 'followme' concept is excellent, perhaps it could eventually not depend on hard
wiring the builtin serial ports but could perhaps be local network IP based?
Or if it must stay on the serial ports use a non loopback topology or better still a star (easy for 3 but would need a hub for more)
Maybe also a config option in the new Classic internal web server?
Followme groups?
And then, if IP based, get the current monitor into a serial port instead of using up AUX2 as an input  :D   ...  and get the CM to read accurate battery voltage and followme that into all the Classics in same followme group  ;D

...better stop before I get into followme Clippers  :P

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

What would happen in Follow-Me if you turn one Classic in the loop off
and then back on again is that it would tell the other Classics to go to
Bulk/Absorb.  Not a problem if the other Classics were in Bulk/Absorb
but it they were all in Float or EQ, then they would all go back to Bulk/
Absorb again.

This would happen (I think) even if the Follow-Me were communicating over Ethernet.

What I think would be cool would be to use an Open WRT type router to connect
multiple Classics together and also act as a web server.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

2twisty

How about using a cheap switch and a RasPi? You could even "control" the Classics over ModBUS.