Oops, I may have damaged my MNBCM

Started by TomW, April 13, 2013, 02:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomW

Folks;

Remember, Murphy follows me around like a lost puppy.

I was messing around rewiring some things and managed to put 40 volts or so onto the input of my MNBCM for an unknown time basically open circuit PV output on a cloudy day. While it was fed this voltage the LEDs on the % gauge were on the lowest red LED and flashing, the red one on the "since last full charge" display was flashing (I think).

After I got done and powered it up from the batteries it went through the initial "test" where it cycles through the gauge LEDs. It settled into the proper indication after a couple passes on that.

After like 2 days and change now with either full or mostly full batteries the RED "since last full charge" LED is still on?

Did I pop the thing or something? It seems the first time I powered it up new it took overnight or some other short time to get a green light on the "since last full charge" LED?

Seems 40 volts in should be OK as it supposedly can handle a 48 volt bank.

Am I seeing problems where none exist or is something messed up?

Thanks.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

Well 40v should not hurt it. I suspect the battery has not been completely full since it was hooked up? The BCM must see the correct voltage for the correct period of time before it will turn that green LED on

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

Ryan;

Thanks for the response. I guess we have been in the anemic solar range a few days and may not have held above the expected "full charge" voltage for long enough? I will hold off awhile before I write it off.

Thanks.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

TomW

Ryan;

You were absolutely right.
It just needed some time. about 11PM it went from red to green. The turbine was keeping the battery up all day which is good since solar is useless the last few days.

Glad I didn't damage the MNBCM.

I am very impressed with how running a Classic 150 on my 24 volt nominal turbine has improved general low wind performance. And boosted overall net KWH! I haven't seen the 3KW plus I have seen direct connected but energy harvesting is a marathon not a sprint.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)