News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Forum Server move

Started by Halfcrazy, April 23, 2013, 07:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

Niel
The issue I am having here is the post says "NEW" to the right of the title when there are new posts. If I log in as test I see the "NEW" in an orange box, If I log in as myself the orange box is not there. So this in itself has to be a user setting. I am not sure what, why or how? I need to figure this out and maybe this will be the issue you are seeing as well.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

Quote from: Halfcrazy on May 11, 2013, 03:56:36 PM
Niel
The issue I am having here is the post says "NEW" to the right of the title when there are new posts. If I log in as test I see the "NEW" in an orange box, If I log in as myself the orange box is not there. So this in itself has to be a user setting. I am not sure what, why or how? I need to figure this out and maybe this will be the issue you are seeing as well.

Ryan

Ryan;

I only have one account to check but I only get the "NEW" text (no box). I looked over my settings and nothing in there seems related to that? Some fora have optional themes and I have seen those cause this kind of problem. All my settings on how the forum looks are "default" so probably not that. I did not notice optional themes.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

I suspect it is related to the data base. I will keep digging... 8)

TomW

Quote from: Halfcrazy on May 11, 2013, 05:08:28 PM
I suspect it is related to the data base. I will keep digging... 8)

Not sure which switch you flipped but now I got the quarter moon where I used to have "NEW"?  :o

Just FYI

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Westbranch

1/2 CZY, I get the Orange box with NEW in it ..

I use the FFOX and go to 'unread posts', then if use the browser's  'back arrow' it goes back to the 'unread posts' and  remembers that I have viewed a thread and it is gone from the list. 
Very occasionally it does not remember...

hth
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Halfcrazy

So I think I got it so I wonder do we like the moon or the orange new??

TomW

Quote from: Westbranch on May 11, 2013, 05:38:15 PM
1/2 CZY, I get the Orange box with NEW in it ..

I use the FFOX and go to 'unread posts', then if use the browser's  'back arrow' it goes back to the 'unread posts' and  remembers that I have viewed a thread and it is gone from the list. 
Very occasionally it does not remember...

hth

Firefox here too on Ubuntu.

This gets curiouser and curiouser.  ::)

Orange "NEW" fit better before anyway. Either is fine in my opinion.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Halfcrazy

well i think i found the issue so the orange box vs the moon is a cache issue. I did find something in the language/themes that may have been the cause

Westbranch

Ryan, yesterday I was looking at the main menu, of all categories to post in, AFTER I had read all the NEW postings and there was 1 dark half moon, but I had read everything in the "unread"list, so I went to it and found it in the new child category of on-line monitoring. ???
Read the post and the half moon changed to the liter version so that part worked.  I will watch for  that to occur again.

hth
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Rybren

I've only seen the half moon - it seems to work well for me. 
4 x 210W PV, Classic 150, e-panel, Samlex PST-1500-24, 232AH 24V

niel

if you didn't fix it you are on the right track for it appears fixed to me offhand as the moons are in the thread categories and new is showing up in threads with new posts now. i'm fine with whatever you want it to appear as just as long as i can determine which are read already as otherwise it is walking blindly through the forum. it will be interesting to see if my initial observations of the disappearances of the indicators will take place or not. i will update as i go through it.
thanks for your efforts on this ryan.

niel

ok my original complaint still exists. if i am in a thread category showing new posts that if going into there with multiple threads with new posts and not reading them all that upon exiting will cause the main thread category to not show the moon indicating there are still unread threads with new posts in that category. this happens no matter if you backspace a page or hit home. at least the threads themselves still retain the new posts indication even though the thread category indicator is gone.

i wish i knew the reason for it and i did not set up naws' website to know. naws' website does retain the unread posts indicator on the main thread categories area if all of the threads with new posts where not accessed. i may confer with bb later to see if he has a clue on the possible problem here.

cpm

Well,

For almost a week now, I've popped into the board, clicked the
"Show unread posts since last visit" link, which pops up:
"No unread topics found since your last visit." so I assume that
there is no traffic, so I roll on by.

Lo and behold! Lots of stuff has been posted in the last week.

Call me surprised.

TomW

Quote from: cpm on May 13, 2013, 03:38:42 PM
Well,

Call me surprised.

cpm;

What link do you use for unread topics? I use this one:

http://midniteforum.com/index.php?action=unread

That works perfect for me. Then there are the cookies that might need to be flushed.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

boB

Quote from: cpm on May 13, 2013, 03:38:42 PM
Well,

Call me surprised.

I find the same thing.  This was the same with the forum before it moved though.

The moons seem to work so far.  Also the little enuncinator "NEW"  also appears to work
next to a new thread that I have not read before.

I notice that the Otherpower forum's and Anotherpower  forum's unread link appears to work fine
so I have no idea why the midnite version of the SMS forums should work differently.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me