my Classic says GOT COMM? on the screen.

Started by Halfcrazy, March 05, 2011, 11:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

Janoy876
if this issue happens randomly and will not clear itself then it could be an issue with the hardware. If it just pops up every now and then for a few seconds that is considered normal.

I would suggest if it is a hard fault and requires you to reboot the controller that you contact tech support and let them know you may need a new control board and MNGP per Ryan they can be contacted at support@midnitesolar.com
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Jszuckerman

Today my new Classic 150 showed "GOT COMM?" for the first time, immediately after I installed my new Wizbang Jr.   Soon after wiring the Jr. I figured I was home free--the Jr.'s LED was flashing to indicate good communication with the Classic.  Then suddenly the Jr'.s status info just stopped updating in the front panel, and I got "GOT COMM?" on the Classic main menu.  A check of all the wiring and several power cycles later, the problem mysteriously disappeared and has not recurred.

I did have to extend the length of the Jr.'s data cable by several feet (I crimped on some 20 AWG solid copper).

Could "GOT COMM?" be in any way related to addition of the Wizbang Jr.?

Could "GOT COMM"? be induced by noise caused by my extension of the data cable?

JohnZ

Vic

Hi JohnZ,

The Got Comm?  Message used to be fairly commonly seen with earlier FirmWare (FW) versions.   Generally it was meaningless.

What is the FW version that is running on the Classic and MNGP?

Am not an expert on these things,  but would expect that the extension of the WbJr's Violet wire would have no direct effect on that message.

Have noticed with earlier FW versions,  that going to the Network pages on the MNGP,  that any key entry other than the left or right arrow,  seemed to generate the Got Comm? message for some minutes,  but later,  the appearance of that message would stop,  seemingly on its own ...

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Jszuckerman

Local app shows these firmware versions for my Classic 150:

Classic Rev: 2096
Network Rev: 2097

The unit was purchased in August, 2016--so it's new.  Not sure how to find the firmware rev of the MNGP.  I've never flashed new firmware.

Again, today's "GOT COMM?" event feels related to my wiring the Wizbang Jr. today.  It's also the case that I visited a lot of MNGP menus today that I normally don't touch.  I had set the mode to "OFF" for a while.

In any case, system has been working normally since this event.

JohnZ

Westbranch

JohnZ you are up to date on the FW... to find it go to WWW. Midnitesolar .com and

in the choices bar at the top of the page choose Software

If it comes back you can always try a Factory Reset ( Vulcan Mind Meld).... and if you do not use the local App to save the settings you may   have to reset them by hand...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Vic

Quote from: Jszuckerman on October 29, 2016, 06:27:17 PM
Local app shows these firmware versions for my Classic 150:

Classic Rev: 2096
Network Rev: 2097

The unit was purchased in August, 2016--so it's new.  Not sure how to find the firmware rev of the MNGP.  I've never flashed new firmware.

Again, today's "GOT COMM?" event feels related to my wiring the Wizbang Jr. today.  It's also the case that I visited a lot of MNGP menus today that I normally don't touch.  I had set the mode to "OFF" for a while.

In any case, system has been working normally since this event.
JohnZ

Hi John,

Thanks for the info on the FW version.  Your up to date with Production FW.

Assume that you have not set up any of the Network configuration stuff on that Classic...

You do know that when the Classic and the WBjr are communicating,  that the green LED on the WB flashes about every five seconds  --  this should be quite consistent.

Extending that Violet WB interface cable by "several feet" should not affect the communication  on most systems.   To me,  several feet,  is essentially two feet.

I did need to extend this cable on several systems,  and used shielded control type cable.  The shield was grounded only on one end of that cable.  And,  this cable was run in EMT (metal) conduit that has only BTS and shielded Aux control cables inside.

With some systems,  there could be NOISE induced into that WB Violet interface cable.  And  with no communication between the WB and the Classic,  the green WB LED would not be flashing,  OR,  it would be flashing frequently,  and seemingly randomly.

Is the WB interface cable run with,  or in parallel with any power conductors (AC,  PV,  or battery)?

Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

Jszuckerman

>>> Extending that Violet WB interface cable by "several feet" should not affect the communication  on most systems.   To me,  several feet,  is essentially two feet.

I added between 2 and 3 feet of unshielded wire to the interface cable.

>>> I did need to extend this cable on several systems,  and used shielded control type cable.  The shield was grounded only on one end of that cable.  And,  this cable was run in EMT (metal) conduit that has only BTS and shielded Aux control cables inside.

>>> With some systems,  there could be NOISE induced into that WB Violet interface cable.  And  with no communication between the WB and the Classic,  the green WB LED would not be flashing,  OR,  it would be flashing frequently,  and seemingly randomly.

I am now getting consistent flashing at the 5 second rate.

>>> Is the WB interface cable run with,  or in parallel with any power conductors (AC,  PV,  or battery)?

Yes, unfortunately I did run the WB interface cable in parallel with the power conductors. While troubleshooting yesterday, I did wiggle the interface cable, changing its orientation to the power cables significantly.   

I'd be happy to change to shielded cable.  Can you recommend a type of shielded cable?  (How would it be specified?)

Would the violet interface cable need to be replaced all the way back to the WB Jr?

Vic

Hi John,

Why not wait to see is the issue repeats.

If you see this issue again,   at this point,  it is probably easiest to just make a Twisted Pair  --  the signal conductor,  twisted with a ground wire of about the same size as the signal wire.

Ground one end of that added wire,  twisted with the Violet wire.  This should be about as effective as would be a shielded cable,  and would be easier.

Opinions,    Good Luck,   Vic

Jszuckerman

Problem hasn't recurred so far.

Twisted pair: that's a great idea--I was wondering if a twisted pair would do as well--but being a software guy, I just wasn't sure.  Many thanks, JohnZ

FishH2o

So a new 150 was installed and running great in a remote cell tower in NewMexico. I came up to do some work and clean up wiring. I had a DC GFP alert and the red, yellow,and green leds came on. I turned off PV and DC to the unit to do a reset and when I added DC power back I get this GOT COMM? So, I did a reset to factory default but it returns. Im not getting any charging out of the unit at all.. Any help here. Im supposed to fly back to FL Monday morning.

FNG

With all the LEDs lit that tells me there is a failure on the main board int he processor, two of the 3 LEDs are driven from the main board. And with the issue a factory restore will not help as the two are not talking. You could try the jumper reset but I am afraid you need to call tech support tomorrow (or open a ticket today) for some repair help

Vic

Hi FishH20,

When someone posts,  "tower" and "New Mexico",   some of us think about LIGHTNING,   and the often rocky "soil",  which can create problems in getting a fairly solid ground,  to dissipate energy from nearby strikes.

You,   too,  may have considered possible lightning damage to your electronics,  etc,   and you may have Surge Protection Devices already installed.

Assume that this is a personal Cell Phone Repeater (or similar).

I know nothing of the exact workings of the Classic internals,  but  am sure that FNG,  does.

This situation may well not have been related to any lightning,   but,   it might not hurt to review  good practices for lightning protection,  if you are not too well versed in that.

There are many,  many variables is designing and implementing effective lightning protection measures,   but this art is fairly well-known in the Communication business,  although there are many site variables.

FWIW,   Good luck,    Vic

FishH2o

Thanks for getting back Vic.

The site was not hit and we are running gas surge protectors and all is grounded good. I ended up pulling the unit and flying back with it to work with support. Luckily I had a back up controller for the site and all is up I just don't know what the heck happened yet to this unit. Could have been a mistake I made or something else.

Quote from: Vic on June 03, 2018, 11:18:21 PM
Hi FishH20,

When someone posts,  "tower" and "New Mexico",   some of us think about LIGHTNING,   and the often rocky "soil",  which can create problems in getting a fairly solid ground,  to dissipate energy from nearby strikes.

You,   too,  may have considered possible lightning damage to your electronics,  etc,   and you may have Surge Protection Devices already installed.

Assume that this is a personal Cell Phone Repeater (or similar).

I know nothing of the exact workings of the Classic internals,  but  am sure that FNG,  does.

This situation may well not have been related to any lightning,   but,   it might not hurt to review  good practices for lightning protection,  if you are not too well versed in that.

There are many,  many variables is designing and implementing effective lightning protection measures,   but this art is fairly well-known in the Communication business,  although there are many site variables.

FWIW,   Good luck,    Vic