How firmware install worked for my 2nd Classic Lite Under Windoz 7HP

Started by Photowhit, July 01, 2013, 05:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Photowhit

I installed the latest firmware 1st try on my 1st Classic Lite, and got now where on the 2nd no matter what I tried. If I plugged it in while powered on, I could see it come up in the device manager as CDC serial emulator and doing the power down and disconnecting the USB cord, I continually got;

"error Com 8 in use or nonexistent"(or something to that effect)

...after hearing that it eventually worked for others I kept trying, maybe 40 times... including shutting down my computer and rebooting.

What did work was to uninstall the "MidNiteSolarSetup_4-8-2013_v3.70.exe" I had to do this from the Midnite folder since somehow it said I didn't have authorization to do this from the Control panel's add/remove (it's a single admin no other on computer...)

I then reinstalled and it worked 1st (or 41st...lol) time!

Now to figure out how to network into the classic.
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

dgd

When you used the uninstall from control panel the exe program and all it associated files and directory would have been removed.
I suspect there was  a lock file of some sort in there which makes sure only the running exe has use of the com8 port.
When you did your first Classic update maybe for some reason the program did not terminate cleanly, removing locks etc.
This may have been because the exe tells you firmware successfully updated or 100% complete BUT the update is not really finished until the black update window closes itself and disappears.  If the USB cable is removed or the Classic powered off before then then sometimes the firmware update works of but other times it will not.
When you tried you 2nd to 40th updates then the lock file defeated you reporting 'in use'.
By reinstalling there was no lock file hence 41st update worked  :)

Or,as usual, I'm completely wrong ...

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

toothy

Mine gave me the same COM 8 stuff this afternoon, I think because it had the long cord, switched to one of the short cords from a newer Classic and it worked fine. The long cord has worked several times in the past.

It didn't seem like the black box was going to disappear even though it said update successful so I unplugged it and moved to the next one. They did seem really pissed off, when I tried to change settings nothing would take and when I tried to set them as # 10,11 and 12, the screen would go kind of faded and show 255 as the #. They are all working but the graphs on Mymidnite for one of them looks really weird.

Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

Photowhit

Thanks, I think it was that I closed out the black box, good catch, I had waited until it said completed successfully, some one had warned about pulling at 100% complete, I'm sure I waited a good while after it was done, but the box never closed, I remember since I was surprised that the box closed after the 2nd install.

Now if I can get the networking to work with the 2nd box... Perhaps I'll uninstall the local status panel and reinstall...lol. I'm about at that point. Perhaps my C50 computer is to wimpy, I have a bunch of 1500mhz appliance boxes running XP I can sic on it...lol...
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.