Replacing Whisper 200 48v controller with Clipper

Started by SolarWind, July 11, 2013, 03:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolarWind

I'm supplying a Clipper & Classic to replace a burnt out Whisper 200 controller (lightning). Looking for some advice on which Clipper to use and which Classic. Has Midnite come up with a Whisper wind curve yet or should I use an existing curve and tweak it? Unfortunately I can not easily monitor the output so would like to set it up for the customer as close as possible. Any others who have replaced Whisper controllers with Clippers please chime in.

Thanks!

Halfcrazy

There are quite a few Whisper 100 and 200's out there on Classics and Clippers. What is your battery voltage? I would go with the 1500 watt AC 2.0ohm clipper and depending on the battery voltage I would use a Classic 200.

I will ask Roy to jump in here and comment on his wind curve.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

SolarWind

Battery voltage is 48v, so are you suggesting a 200 then? I would appreciate info on the curve. It's a low to moderate wind site. Thanks!

Halfcrazy

Yeah I would go the 200. I will work on Roy he has a good curve worked up and maybe we can get it posted.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

SolarWind

Thanks Ryan, since I'm not sure who Roy is and can't find him in a member search can you tell me how to reach him?

Riverwind

Ryan, any luck getting info on the Whisper 200 wind curve? This is getting a bit frustrating. I've got two turbines now, a Whisper and a Proven with Clippers that you guys said you could help with on the curve but nothing materializes. These units are a cadillac type of controller but they don't work worth a damn if we can't figure out how to program it. Frankly it's out of my realm of expertise and I haven't seen any clear documentation.

boB

Quote from: Riverwind on July 25, 2013, 09:06:40 PM
Ryan, any luck getting info on the Whisper 200 wind curve? This is getting a bit frustrating. I've got two turbines now, a Whisper and a Proven with Clippers that you guys said you could help with on the curve but nothing materializes. These units are a cadillac type of controller but they don't work worth a damn if we can't figure out how to program it. Frankly it's out of my realm of expertise and I haven't seen any clear documentation.

Have you checked out the Local App connected to your Classic and its wind power curve adjustment graphical interface ?

It is the best way to adjust the curves at least.   Knowing the correct curve is the hard part of course.

The best way to get a power curve that does not exist is to find it using a wind tunnel.
Unfortunately that's not something that is very accessible !   So wind learn will eventually
work but before that comes along, trial and error at adjusting the curves is the short
term solution.  That's where the Local App's interface is nice.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

There is a similar wind turbine curve for the Kestrel 48v-300i provided as a zip file in the docs section.
This is also a low wind startup 1000w turbine and should at least give you a start curve for the Whisper 200, also a low wind startup 1000w turbine.
Unless MN thinks this is not a good idea I would use the Kestrel curve to at least get started.

I used the Hy200 curve as a start point for my 1.5Kw turbine and after fiddling and faffing and a few bottles of amber nectar now have a curve that seems pretty good plus I enjoyed getting there.
The biggest problem is not having a fiddle when the nectar becomes available again... :D
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Riverwind

Really, the replies are amusing and dgd thanks I'll have a look at the Kestrel.

But seriously boB, Ryan... do you expect dealers to sell these things? It's like giving someone a car that has never seen one and saying yeah, it works great, just go for it. A little trial and error and you should be able to make it work pretty good.

So I'm sitting there watching the wind blow on the local app and messing with the graph settings and it's all so cute but what am I looking for?? I guess I'm trying to get max amps out at a given wind speed but what am I trying to end up with on the graph and what happens if I raise it too high on the low wind speed and too low on the high or vice versa or some place in the middle. A little bit of a tutorial, maybe one of your neat videos, or even just a point form: if you do this then that happens then you should do that or try and do this etc.

I'm just kinda frustrated because I want to make these things work but I can't wait for the wind and then rush over to a site and start playing with sliders and hope for the best ...

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

SolarWind

Yes, I believe those are all built in to the Classic.
Fiddling, faffing and drinking amber nectar....

dgd

Quote from: Riverwind on July 26, 2013, 09:27:13 PM
I'm just kinda frustrated because I want to make these things work but I can't wait for the wind and then rush over to a site and start playing with sliders and hope for the best ...

I suppose the answer to this will be wind learning mode for the Classic. This has been mentioned a few times and from previous replies is in the 'to do' list although with other MN projects underway it would seem to be a lower priority. Hopefully that status will change soon  :)
Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

cschlessman

Quote from: Westbranch on July 26, 2013, 09:34:48 PM
don't know a thing about whirly gigs, but did you see the curves on this page?

http://www.midnitesolar.com/documents.php?productCat_ID=21&productCatName=Charge%20Controllers%20for%20Solar,%20Wind,%20Hydro&model=CLASSIC%20150&product_ID=256
Found the curve for a Bergy XL-1 24V but what do the numbers mean? is that wind speed vs output?

Thanks
Chuck

TomW

Quote from: cschlessman on June 05, 2014, 03:52:47 PM
Quote from: Westbranch on July 26, 2013, 09:34:48 PM
don't know a thing about whirly gigs, but did you see the curves on this page?

http://www.midnitesolar.com/documents.php?productCat_ID=21&productCatName=Charge%20Controllers%20for%20Solar,%20Wind,%20Hydro&model=CLASSIC%20150&product_ID=256
Found the curve for a Bergy XL-1 24V but what do the numbers mean? is that wind speed vs output?

Thanks
Chuck

All of the Classic wind curves use voltage and current. The Classic does NOT know the wind speed at least not yet.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

boB

Wind learn is really what is needed to optimize the curve/graph.

Wind speed is not necessary but would still be nice to know.

If the wind graph was "learned" or correct because of calibration using a wind tunnel, then
the graph itself would be close enough to tell you the wind speed but looking at the voltage
that the turbine was running at.

A wind tunnel is the best way to find the wind curve.  Not everyone has one of these though...
Unfortunately.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me