Classic Battery Monitor

Started by Tons001, August 07, 2013, 06:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tons001

I am at the point of wiring my system. I would like to have a battery monitor and was eyeballing the Trimetric 2025 but would much rather have the upcoming Midnite one. Any thoughts on when it will be released before I waster $160 on the Trimetric?

Additionally, I am using Deltec 500a 50mv shunts. Will those work with this new monitor?

Thanks!
8 Sopray SR-90 panels, MN Classic 150 w/ WBjr, Sunxtender 12v/305ah, Trimetric 2025a, Morningstar SureSine Inverters & RelayDriver, IOTA DLS-55

mahendra

would have to ask midnite about that. don't think it will be out as early as you may want it to be.
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

Halfcrazy

The current sense module is done hardware wise. boB has started the code to make the classic read it and do things with the amperage like EA etc. After that he will start work on the actual battery meter portion of the code. I am not sure I can put a time line on it but I would say a month or two?

boB??
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Tons001

No worries. I picked up a Trimetric for now. That EA feature will sure be nice but it looks like I will lose my Aux 2 to the BM if I am reading all of the threads right.
8 Sopray SR-90 panels, MN Classic 150 w/ WBjr, Sunxtender 12v/305ah, Trimetric 2025a, Morningstar SureSine Inverters & RelayDriver, IOTA DLS-55

boB

Quote from: Tons001 on September 04, 2013, 09:17:52 AM
No worries. I picked up a Trimetric for now. That EA feature will sure be nice but it looks like I will lose my Aux 2 to the BM if I am reading all of the threads right.

Not sure what you mean ?   Are you using now or planning on using Aux 2 for something other than the BM ?

The Whizbang Junior shunt monitor is basically done and we are actually shipping some next week.

The (early) Classic code probably has another week to go but the first customer is going to update
their Classics since they are in Australia and want the hardware there ASAP.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Tons001

I am currently using Aux 1 for Vent Fan Hi and Aux 2 for Nite Light. If the shunt monitor needs to hook up to an Aux, I guess I could put both relays on the Nite Light aux and adjust the normally opened/closed on the relays for the outdoor lighting and battery box fan.

Vic

Quote from: boB on September 08, 2013, 01:10:20 AM

The Whizbang Junior shunt monitor is basically done and we are actually shipping some next week.

The (early) Classic code probably has another week to go but the first customer is going to update
their Classics since they are in Australia and want the hardware there ASAP.

boB

Hey boB,

That is great news ...   getting closer than I would have guessed.   Great work and news!   Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

mahendra

great when will it be available from retailers?
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

boB

Quote from: mahendra on September 10, 2013, 05:50:58 PM
great when will it be available from retailers?

Not sure yet.   We've shipped some already.  Waiting for the
little plastic covers that will hopefully be in next week.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mahendra

ChrisOlson

Are the specs or a preview of this device available on the website yet?  I was wondering about wiring configuration with large capacity DC bus with multiple parallel feeds to the bus from the battery, and how it will work.

Thanks!
--
Chris

boB

Well, this little Whizbang Junior just connects to the 2 terminals on your typical
Deltec shunt and a single wire (22 gauge ?) runs to the Classic's Aux 2 terminal.

So, however that shunt is wired.

As far as specs, I don't have a final number yet but we are seeing  less than < 0.5 percent worse
case  delta from reading the shunts by Fluke meter.  The Deltecs are spec'd at +- 0.25 %

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ChrisOlson

Quote from: boB on September 16, 2013, 09:42:17 PM
Well, this little Whizbang Junior just connects to the 2 terminals on your typical
Deltec shunt and a single wire (22 gauge ?) runs to the Classic's Aux 2 terminal.

OK, so you basically have to buy whatever shunt is appropriate for your system, then connect the Whizbang Junior to it like any other ammeter would connect.

What mV shunt does it require?  I need to start looking for the biggest 500 amp shunt I can find.  The shunts I have seen that are "500 amp" don't have even close to big enough studs on them to connect the cables to from our bus.
--
Chris

Tons001

We have had a couple overcast days. My Trimetric is showing -80 cumulative amp hours total out of the bank. It is sunny today and I thought the Classic would have stayed in bulk longer than it did. I adjusted for a longer absorb in hopes to replace as many amps as possible but I doubt I will make it. My batteries ask for a 2 hour absorb which I have extended to 5 hours and set my end amps to 4. If I kept it at a 2 hour absorb, I would end up in float with a rather large amp hour deficit still in my back ... at least according to the Trimetric.

So my question is two part. First ... I am assuming the Whizbang Jr is the answer to fixing this because the Classic would then know exactly how much to replace? Second ... is there anything in the immediate I can do dump more current into the battery bank or was increasing the absorb time my best bet?

Or I guess a third question is am I complete idiot?  :o

Vic

Tons ..,

Battery monitors DO need to be calibrated to be accurate.  The number of AH needed to be returned to the batteries depend upon the rate at which the AH were removed,  the charging efficiency of the batteries (AGMs are fairly efficient),  temperature effects and more.

With AGMs,  it is not possible to measure the state of charge by sampling the electrolyte,  so End Amps,  and resting voltage are two methods of knowing fairly well the SOC of the bank.

The WhizBang Jr.  will be able to measure the actual charge current going into the battery bank.  You will need to determine the correct setting for EA so the WB can terminate the Absorption stage of charge.

The battery manufacturer may well specify what this EA or Finishing Charge rate is for your batteries.  Removing all chargers and all loads from the batteries after you believe that they are fully charged,  and letting the bank "Rest"  for a number of hours will allow you to measure the Rested voltage which can  be a very good indication of the SOC,  and allow you to zero in on the correct EA setting in the Classic.

Just a drive-by post,   later,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!