News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

combiner box

Started by eastpoint turbine, August 10, 2013, 10:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eastpoint turbine

Hi to all, finally got my classic 150 and combiner box  mnpv3  I cannot see anyway these breakers can fit into the box
250 amp----(fa1--80--16--825-12a-bg
max voltage      125
hertz                 dc
delay                 16
trip amps            313

60 amp    (ca1-x2-17-774-321-1
   I have the feeling these are the incorrect ones
please advise me on the correct ones
    Jason

Halfcrazy

Can you post pictures or links to the breakers? It sure sounds like the wrong breakers for that box. The MNPV3 uses MNEPV breakers http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=183&productCatName=Breakers&productCat_ID=16&sortOrder=16&act=p

Here is a link to our breakers page maybe you can find the ones you have here and we can tell you what they would fit in? http://www.midnitesolar.com/products.php?menuItem=products&productCat_ID=16&productCatName=Breakers
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dbcollen

Those are the wrong ones, you need the MNEPV breakers that are din rail mounted.

mahendra

yep those are definitely the wrong type you need the din rail ones for combiner boxes.
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

eastpoint turbine

Thanks guys, glad they were only 6 of them
now back to my 1 st post and question , how best to connect the six 24 v panels through the combiner and to the classic 2 strings of 3 or 3 of 2
  jason

mahendra

u need to know the specs of the panels ,your nominal battery voltage,and take into consideration on wire run length and cost.
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

mahendra

and before u do all of that u need to make sure u can connect two charge controller to that combiner,the only way i know that is possible is it must accommodate two separate sets of array (in your case i am thinking two arrays in strings of threes).think Ryan(halfcrazy) would be more appropriate on this.

mahendra

oh sorry yours is an mnpv 3 i think you may need an additional combiner.Check with the experts i may be wrong.

vtmaps

Quote from: eastpoint turbine on August 10, 2013, 01:16:50 PM
Thanks guys, glad they were only 6 of them now back to my 1 st post and question , how best to connect the six 24 v panels through the combiner and to the classic 2 strings of 3 or 3 of 2

We need more details... what is your system voltage?  What is Vmp, Voc, and Isc of your panels?  How long is the cable, and what gauge is the cable from combiner to controller? 

In your original post you asked about putting a 250 amp and a 60 amp breaker in the combiner box.  What were you planning to protect with that breaker? ... I've never heard of a string of panels that needed a 250 amp (or even a 60 amp) breaker.  Your panels should have a "series fuse" rating, and that is the size breaker you should put in the combiner. 

Don't forget to put a lightning arrestor in your combiner. 

btw, Midnite sells a mnpv3 with built in MC4 connectors.  Very cool.  You may need to inquire about it... last time I looked it wasn't listed in their catalog.

--vtMaps

mahendra

all true i think you need to to do some home work before you buy next time.

eastpoint turbine

Hold it fellows hold it, I may have jumped in at the deep end of the pool  and not made things clear from the beginning , so let's all forget the past and start  anew.
  my system consist of one 10 ft  24v Dan Bartman/Hugh piggott turbine,600 Ah Hawker batteries, 4 panels totalling 1020 watts, one magnum 4024 pea inverter. This has been working for me for over a year, WITHOUT a charge controller. I want to add 2 more panels ,was advised to get a CC and combiner box   etc  etc,
   Some say don't use more than 2 panels /string,   some say string all MPPT will charge the batt.!!!!!! just asking for your expert advise
     Jason

Halfcrazy

what are you using for a charge controller? How far is it from the pv to the charge controller? And what make and model of panels do you have? Maybe you have the specs on them?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time