News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

MNSPD on Clipper

Started by SolarWind, August 24, 2013, 10:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolarWind

Is it recommended to install two MNSPD's on a Clipper? I can see where one would be on the batt + & - terminal and another could be on the three phase input or in the case of a DC Clipper on the + & - turbine input.

If installing on the three phase input of the AC turbine then I assume a MNSPD 600 would be called for, correct? And if you can only put one on, which would you use, the battery input or the turbine input?

Finally, I installed one on a Clipper + & - battery input terminal and don't get an LED, is this correct? The turbine wasn't operating at the time so I guess no battery voltage flows back from the Classic to the Clipper??

TomW

SW;

I only have one on the incoming wind lines at the Classic to protect the electronics from surges. It only has one LED lit if the turbine is active (DC voltage in from turbine). The other LED(s) have no voltage to ground so will not light.

My battery has one on it in the E-Panel so I did not put one on that circuit @ the Clipper.

Just how I am doing it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

SolarWind

Just giving this a bump ~ I just want to verify that this is installed correctly. On my system I am reading 12v right now at the Clipper output terminals -no wind (not sure why as it's a 48v system but anyway it's working). My Clipper is an earlier vintage. But on the new installed system, also 48v but different inverter and turbine, I get zero volts at the Clipper output terminals and no LED's on the MNSPD. Comments?

Quote from: SolarWind on August 24, 2013, 10:06:18 PM
Is it recommended to install two MNSPD's on a Clipper? I can see where one would be on the batt + & - terminal and another could be on the three phase input or in the case of a DC Clipper on the + & - turbine input.

If installing on the three phase input of the AC turbine then I assume a MNSPD 600 would be called for, correct? And if you can only put one on, which would you use, the battery input or the turbine input?

Finally, I installed one on a Clipper + & - battery input terminal and don't get an LED, is this correct? The turbine wasn't operating at the time so I guess no battery voltage flows back from the Classic to the Clipper??

boB

It is normal to see some voltage on the Classic input/Clipper output when no wind is blowing.  This comes
from the Classic itself and bleeds back through from the battery.  That's OK.

With a 48V battery, you may even see around 40 volts or so there but the Clipper is
probably loading it down a bit and so you see around 12V instead.

I, myself would probably use 3 channels  of SPD on the 3-phase lines into the Clipper but
two SPD circuits (one SPD) on the DC line is OK for the DC side.

We are working on a 3-phase SPD that might be better for that AC side of things.
That would be better because the 3 phases connect to the outside world and are
electrically closer to the lightning.

Usually the battery + and minus is inside and so it doesn't have as much of a chance
to pick up the voltage rise from the lightning but  SPDs won't hurt.

Sounds like you are doing things OK there.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

SolarWind

Thanks boB, so if it's normal to see some voltage on the Classic input/Clipper output why am I not seeing any on the newly installed Clipper? I get 47.5 v on the battery and Classic but nothing on the Clipper + & - and no light on the LED of the MNSPD at the Clipper. Is this still ok?

boB

Quote from: SolarWind on August 26, 2013, 01:39:45 PM
Thanks boB, so if it's normal to see some voltage on the Classic input/Clipper output why am I not seeing any on the newly installed Clipper? I get 47.5 v on the battery and Classic but nothing on the Clipper + & - and no light on the LED of the MNSPD at the Clipper. Is this still ok?

That's an AC clipper ?

Are you seeing 0.0  volts on the Classic input. ??  If so, flip the disconnect
on the input of the Classic from the Clipper or temporarily remove the + positive
input wire from the Classic between the Classic and the Clipper and notice if
the input voltage of the Classic starts to rise or not.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

SolarWind

As you suggested I removed the pos. lead to the battery at the Clipper. The turbine then began to spin. For some reason the turbine is shorting out either at the Clipper, at the Classic or in the E-panel or at the turbine. I'm just trying to sort through this and have a call in to Ryan but have not heard back.

Here's the scenario:
- Whisper 200, 48v, failed after lightning
- Whisper controller appeared to be fried
- replaced Whisper controller with Clipper & Classic 200
- wrong Clipper was shipped and inadvertently installed (got a DC unit instead of an AC unit)
- obtained correct Clipper and installed
- problem persists
- removing battery output lead allows the turbine to spin up and I see voltage

Any clues as to what could be the problem before we pull the turbine down which is a last stand?

SolarWind

Ok disregard, new Classic on the way, thanks.