lite goes into over current protect mode

Started by GHOSTNH, September 16, 2013, 05:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GHOSTNH

today being a cool autumn day and the sun being bright I saw several times when the app indicate that the lite was in current protect mode ( display went to yellow) the battery current was only 70/71 amps at that time.. I  chk the config to see what max amps was set at and it was 78 output and 40 input  so why did the unit go into current protect at 70 amps??     happened around high noon
12 Canadian solar 300 watt panels trace sw5548 two GNB battery banks 1200ahr and 1400ahr total 2600ahr 48v 1 classic lite  5kw backup gen

Halfcrazy

Why 40 amps input not 99 as default? What is the configuration of the array? I found 2 answers in the signature.

Panel wattage:300
Panel count:12
Panels in a sting:

Also what was the battery voltage at high noon? That array is capable of 80ish amps so I suspect you had a peak of 78 amps and it touched the current limiter. Realize the amp limit is looking at instataneus current and the display is showing averaged so there could have been a hit of 78 amps for a split second. I guess I would not worry about it unless you feel it is limiting to 71 amps when there is really 78 available. Is this a Classic 150 or 200?
Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

GHOSTNH

Ryan
lite  200
12 panels (300watt)per
3 panels per string
4 strings
stayed yellow for some time (5 min maybe)
data says battery voltage stayed @ 52 at noon
  am in fact wondering if it is limiting at 71amps when the controller should be  putting out 78 amps
today we should be able to tell more  cus it's suppose to be another bright sunny day
12 Canadian solar 300 watt panels trace sw5548 two GNB battery banks 1200ahr and 1400ahr total 2600ahr 48v 1 classic lite  5kw backup gen

Halfcrazy

Well the 40 amps on the input "could" be your limit. Realize the input is not as accurate as the output and with 4 strings you have the ability to drive to 44 amps. Try turning the input limit back to 99. This was not really designed for solar use anyhow.

Ryan

GHOSTNH

Ok will turn up the input

"This was not really designed for solar use anyhow."

what was it designed for??

Halfcrazy

The input current limit was added for Fuel cells. They have a bit of a finicky demand and if they get overloaded it does bad things to them. So on a battery that may range from 10-50vdc the output current was to wide a swing. So we added the input current for that purpose.

Ryan

GHOSTNH

not enough bright sun today only got to 57amp output so well keep watching  and keep u posted