Classic 150 Installed

Started by keyturbocars, March 08, 2011, 09:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

Quote from: boB on December 30, 2011, 12:30:48 AM
Quote from: phonetic on December 29, 2011, 10:54:54 PM
I have a 8kVA 100 volt transformer center tapped, couple of 120amp stud diodes, 50,000 micofrarad cap..driven by my 6kVA Genset into my classic 150..Im curious what numbers will I get if I feed into my classic 150  :)

Frank
VK3ZFS

Depends on your battery voltage.   Higher the battery, higher the power available for a given output current of course because it will limit.
I you are going to do this, may I suggest adding another diode between your 50,000 uF cap and the Classic input.  The Classic has input caps too, around 4000 uF but if, when it wakes up and matches your input voltage, the ripple current can send some current back into your big capacitors.

What I think the world needs is a decent battery charger with AC input... Maybe with PFC too.

boB

Yes a simple stack-able 2-3kw battery charger with PFC would be way cool. I have been charging with my Outbacks lately and they just do not charge as good as the old magnum.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Vic

>"What I think the world needs is a decent battery charger with AC input... Maybe with PFC too"

Yes,  boB,  HC.  But it MUST be PFC,  and a minimum of 50 A @48 V nominal.  Stackable would be great,   too.

Couple of years agom,  called Magnum,  and suggested that they make such a product,  hav'nt seen it yet ...

Have been running a DC Power Supply: Variac,   XFMR,  FWB, Capacitor bank + Ammeter into an MX-60 and it works great,  but of course it is NOT PFC.

Perhaps time for MN to add this to their list of projects  (?),

HNY to all,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

niel

vic,
you do realize that such a large charger would not be able to plug into most standard 15 or 20a 120vac outlets. this would be either a dedicated 30a circuit on 120vac or used on a dedicated 15a 240vac outlet. this may even be a good candidate for a hardwired installation. demand for such a charger may not be very high due to the special ac requirements that would be imposed. many out there like chargers to be plugnplay so as to avoid special electrical circuits and the electricians and inspections that this would impose on many people.

boB

Quote from: niel on January 03, 2012, 12:30:20 AM
vic,
you do realize that such a large charger would not be able to plug into most standard 15 or 20a 120vac outlets. this would be either a dedicated 30a circuit on 120vac or used on a dedicated 15a 240vac outlet. this may even be a good candidate for a hardwired installation. demand for such a charger may not be very high due to the special ac requirements that would be imposed. many out there like chargers to be plugnplay so as to avoid special electrical circuits and the electricians and inspections that this would impose on many people.

Good points, Niel.    It would have to be pluggable into a 15 Amp circuit I would think and even then, should have adjustable current limit to keep from tripping breakers with too much load already.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

toothy

Hello

Take this input for what you paid for it, remembering that I only know enough to be dangerous!

I have 2-vfx3648's and a 1350Ah bank and need more charge capacity. Ryan, I think, mentioned disappointing charging in another post from this brand of inverter versus Magnum.

What I envision in my rosy perfect world is something that mounts to my 4 inverter mounting plate and is wired in as you would additional inverters and  talks and plays nicely with the current system (mate) but only for additional charge capacity without inverting.

Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

Volvo Farmer

Yup. Every time we charge with the generator through an Outback, I can see the CFLs flickering and can hear a difference in the fridge compressor. I would love to have something stand alone, that costs less than a whole inverter/charger, and doesn't put wonky waveforms into my house wiring.

Adjustable current limiting would be really nifty as you could dial it in to work with a small Honda 1000 or 2000 W generator for ocassional fuel-efficient help with bulk, or hook it to a larger 5000-10KW beast and crank it up for equalizing.

Vic

niel,

Yes those are good points.  However,  just speaking for myself,  The micro chargers like the Iotas,  are useless for 48 volt systems ..  too many giblets required at 15 amps each or whatever it is.

Would like PFC 50 Amp charger.  Being off-grid,  this would always need to be used with a genset.  An EU3000is would be the smallest candidate in my case.  A bit underpowered for 50 A at 57 volts,  but OK with me.

AND in the case of Magnum,  was thinking more about making it easy,  as they already have a high current charger design as a part of their inverter ...  altho,  an AC line-operated PFC switcher would be better (run into a Classic) ,  and probably the common chargers in inverters use the 50/60 Hz XFMR,  which is expensive and heavy.

The pair of SW+ 5548 will charge at 150 Amps,  but I do not like the way they treat the AC power source  in regulating the Asorb voltage.  Apparently,  these chargers force some current back onto the AC input as a regulation strategy,  which can drag AC in out of regulation,  causing the inverter to drop the AC input,  as "unqualified".

Was stating my need,  and was thinking that I was not alone in this need.  The largest genset here can supply 95 A AC at 240 V-- 25 KVA,  and IS directly wired.

Even a PFC DC Switching PS,  run into a Classic would be fine for me,  as we do NOT use AGS,  here.   OK  done,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

niel

vic,
i have no doubt you have a need for it. it isn't me you need to convince of the viability of such a charger as my point was one of a specialty charger or a plugnplay charger. the plugnplay has more marketability and is probably why you haven't seen this charger you seek on the market. i am not saying it should not be made to fit a specialized number of people's needs. the guys at midnite probably would not mind delving into an specialized aspect of the industry if they get the opportunity, but it is they who would need to determine just how sale-able this would be to warrant the investment in its production. if that is not a high sale item it would command a much higher price to offset these initial costs. it was never my intention to discourage the production of such a charger and i'm sure boB appreciates the feedback as it is that feedback that helped to create many of their products. even i am guilty of giving this feedback and not all suggestions will be followed on, but maybe in time they will be as they are still a young company who actually do listen as you and i know. :) ;D 8) 8) 8)

Vic

Yea,  niel,

Am an old retired product development EE,  so know about the trade-offs of what does and does not get developed/marketed.

But,  to me,  the little chargers do exist,  ala Iota,  altho,  believe that the Iotas are not PFC.  They are so small as to be strikingly useless,  especially for 48 V systems.

My home brew variac/transformer/fwb charger is far better than the Iotas,  and cost $100 to build.  Not PFC,  but ...   

Have a large single phase PFC switcher that runs at 3 KW,  but does not quite have enuf output voltage.

May just look for some PFC switcher that can do at least 57 volts,  but that is a stretch.  Might just stack two of those 3 KW jobs ...

Dunno,  but the topic just came up,  and gave my $0.000002.

Thanks,  73  Vic

ibeweagle

I all been a long time since I posted hope I get this right doing good but cough Bells Phalsie virouse infrection witch drops you face nearves but on the road to recovery. Now on to better things have some pictures of two classic 150s hooked up to 4 turbine inputs also hooked up to router but Im away for the site at the farm so Ill have to wait to get the upgraded firmware and have midnite e mail the firmware to me so can upgrade to talk to there server for myclassic.com. also maybe master slave upgarde by then but did get it to call home in october 5-20? 2011 but cant get it to talk yet as they are still working on the . server.
All in all its a great set up as had no problems with it except the first install you must always isolate the input to each mppt contoller installer error not midnites. Bob great controller hope I get to work soon so I can Bye a clipper JR if it is in the works?     P.S. will try to get to site were I can upload better pictures more details to come and wire clean up proto types always spegetiey wiring till in panduit and bigger box all in the box is recycled ! less than 1/6th new except some control wiring!

[attachment deleted by admin]