MyMidnite, Data usage per month ???

Started by phonetic, October 23, 2013, 04:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phonetic

I'm using a 3G internet connection at my off grid system, 3G service get shaped to 64kbit after 1GB of data, would like to know how much data is sent each month from classics (got 2) to MyMidnite server ??
Home:
3.04kW Grid Tie.
Weekender:
6.08kW Off Grid. DC & AC coupled
32 of 190W (12+12 Array DC) (8 Array AC)
Midnite Classic 150 & Classic Lite 150
1.5KW AC coupled Grid Inverter
8 of 600 amp hour Surrette S600 flooded cell battery bank 24 volt 1200 amphour
Outback VFX3024E Inverter Charger, Mate 2.

atop8918

Good question!
Each data dump of Classic to host uses about 856 bytes of bandwidth. The Classic is programmed to dial in every 10 minutes. In the course of a month this amounts to about 4 Megabytes.  This may be greater or smaller depending on the quality of the connection to the mymidnite server.

I like the term "shaped" as opposed to "cut-off" or "sliced down" or "hard limited to". Gotta love mobile marketspeak!

RossW

Quote from: atop8918 on October 23, 2013, 05:22:30 AM
Good question!
Each data dump of Classic to host uses about 856 bytes of bandwidth.

Including or excluding TCP and IP headers?

[/quote]
I like the term "shaped" as opposed to "cut-off" or "sliced down" or "hard limited to". Gotta love mobile marketspeak!
[/quote]

They're quite different (at least in this country they are).
"Shaped" means they cripple you back to a 64/64K link but don't charge you any more.
It's a bit like "disconnecting" a phone - you can cut the wires, which is really "disconnected", or you can prevent it calling anything other than emergency services (which is basically the same, but doesn't leave you open to being sued into the middle of next century in a life-threatening situation)
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

atop8918

Good point,
That does not include TCP/IP headers, only the http headers. There is a full TCP/IP connect and disconnect 8x per data dump in addition to the http headers and data. There are 856 bytes of HTTP and data per data dump. This happens at 10 minute intervals throughout the day.

dgd

Quote from: RossW on October 23, 2013, 05:45:32 AM

They're quite different (at least in this country they are).
"Shaped" means they cripple you back to a 64/64K link but don't charge you any more.
It's a bit like "disconnecting" a phone - you can cut the wires, which is really "disconnected", or you can prevent it calling anything other than emergency services (which is basically the same, but doesn't leave you open to being sued into the middle of next century in a life-threatening situation)

Do you have other ISP options? perhaps some who don't do this?   I can understand where an ISP provides a no-data-limits connection that the only control over the terabyte downloader is restricting connection bandwidth BUT fixed price based on total data (eg monthly) usually means full bandwidth available - unless they have international bandwidth limit that will then slow eveyone at busy times....
Anyway, calling it by any name, designed bandwidth restricting to crawl mode is bloody annoying. I hope your ISP goes out of business  :P
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

RossW

Quote from: dgd on October 23, 2013, 03:32:38 PM
Do you have other ISP options? perhaps some who don't do this?

Oh, not everyone does it. I've been an ISP since early 1995, and I don't do it and never have.
But then, I've adopted other means to keep the leaches away.
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine