News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

How loud is clipper?

Started by David, November 17, 2013, 11:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Can someone give me some idea on how noisy the clipper is?  When does the fan come on and how loud is it? 

TomW

David;

I actually have never noticed mine making any noise even holding back a couple kilowatts of turbine. I am a tad deaf from front row center rock concerts and gunfire without hearing protection so there may be a small amount of noise I cannot pick up.

Mine has no fan but some earlier ones did I think.

So my simple answer is none.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

Quote from: David on November 17, 2013, 11:35:33 AM
Can someone give me some idea on how noisy the clipper is?  When does the fan come on and how loud is it?

The 1500 watt AC clipper makes no noise.
The 1500 watt dc clipper has a slight ticking in it when it clips
The 4000 watt Ac and Dc clipper shave fans but they do not come on until the resistors are good an hot so they should also be pretty quite

Ryan

Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Boondocker

I hear no noise out of the 4KW AC clipper.   The silence is a relief compared to using a Xantrax C60 buzzing the resistors, when using it as dump load controller.

David

This Kestrel voltage limiter is driving me crazy.  It's been whining all day, especially once the controller went to float.   It sounds like somebody won't stop shop vacuuming!   I may have to break down and get the clipper, I like quiet!.

dgd

Quote from: David on November 20, 2013, 12:17:47 AM
This Kestrel voltage limiter is driving me crazy.  It's been whining all day, especially once the controller went to float.   It sounds like somebody won't stop shop vacuuming!   I may have to break down and get the clipper, I like quiet!.

A clipper would be a nice addition.
However, I have never before seen a noisy voltage limiter as a reason to get a Clipper - because the Clipper is quieter.
What about some customer support from Kestrel, what do they say about the crazy making noise?  Is it just a fan or fans? If so there are quiet fans available or maybe the existing fans can be run slower and less noisy.
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

David

Quote from: dgd on November 20, 2013, 12:35:29 AM
Quote from: David on November 20, 2013, 12:17:47 AM

A clipper would be a nice addition.
However, I have never before seen a noisy voltage limiter as a reason to get a Clipper - because the Clipper is quieter.
What about some customer support from Kestrel, what do they say about the crazy making noise?  Is it just a fan or fans? If so there are quiet fans available or maybe the existing fans can be run slower and less noisy.
dgd

They said it is normal.  There are two fans I believe.  I'd have to take it apart to see if there is something I can do.  Probably the biggest issue is they are not temperature controlled.  If I could at least add temp control to it that would make a big difference since it is around 50F air temp where it is located.

Halfcrazy

If my memory serves me they used the voltage drop across the diodes to run the fans. I may be way off but I was thinking they did? Maybe a snap disc in series to keep them off till a certain temp?

David

Quote from: Halfcrazy on November 20, 2013, 04:45:06 AM
If my memory serves me they used the voltage drop across the diodes to run the fans. I may be way off but I was thinking they did? Maybe a snap disc in series to keep them off till a certain temp?
I don't know.. There is a lengthy discussion on NAWS about it.

The other question would be, am I losing any power by having the voltage limited to 135V with a 200V or 250V Classic?  The Kestrel limiters only come in 135V or 280V versions.

dgd

Quote from: David on November 20, 2013, 09:18:38 AM
I don't know.. There is a lengthy discussion on NAWS about it.

The other question would be, am I losing any power by having the voltage limited to 135V with a 200V or 250V Classic?  The Kestrel limiters only come in 135V or 280V versions.

Thats was an interesting discussion on NAWS.

So you have a 110v e300i ?   I don't understand why the voltage is limited to 135v, is this to protect the turbine from overspeeding?  in addition to the blade pitch control system?  or is the turbine power curve past its peak by the time 135v is reached? If thats the case then slowing the turbine when 135v is reached would probably prolong its useful life.

If its to protect the controller then 135v seems a little low for the Classic 200 which would probably be ok up to nearer the 200V mark.
Using an MN DC  1.5Kw clipper would seem a better way of managing your turbine and controller as you could set the max voltage and the Classic  PWN  output controls the clipper which can then keep some loading on the turbine.

When  pitch control is activated on the Kestrel how does it effect he noise levels?  Do you end up with a wailing banshee on top of the pole that taks to  the basement troll  :P

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

IIRC, the 135V limit was originally set there so that the old Outback MX60 (or FM) could run
this turbine.

I am not sure how much more you get when raising that limit.  I should know the
answer to that though.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

David
Any chance you can export the offline data on that classic and email it to me? ryan@midnitesolar.com

I have data coming from a Kestrel on Our clipper and I would like to compare the voltages etc and see how bad there limiter is hurting people.

Ryan

David

Quote from: dgd on November 21, 2013, 06:46:01 PM
When  pitch control is activated on the Kestrel how does it effect he noise levels?  Do you end up with a wailing banshee on top of the pole that taks to  the basement troll  :P
It does not sound that bad.  I think the African Wind Power I had was noisier.  I will try to take a video with audio in high winds.  The background wind noise is probably just as loud or louder when it does it.  The pitch control is also not simply on or off.. the amount of pitch depends on the wind speed.

David

Quote from: Halfcrazy on November 22, 2013, 05:53:26 AM
David
Any chance you can export the offline data on that classic and email it to me? ryan@midnitesolar.com

I have data coming from a Kestrel on Our clipper and I would like to compare the voltages etc and see how bad there limiter is hurting people.
The offline data you are referring to is the log data recorded on the Classic itself and accessible via the local app or do you need to have the local app running to record this data?

Halfcrazy

Correct
Go to the Local App and Click Data. Now Click Offline and when Export lights up save it and Email it to me

Ryan