News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

KID Clipper

Started by dgd, December 05, 2013, 09:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

Is it a bit too soon to ask if there is any info available on the KID Clipper and how it interfaces to the KID?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

The simple answer is that the load output can be used and programmed as a clipper.

I don't know how much current myself, yet.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

So the KID will divert the turbine output to the load connections, where there will be a DC load?
What a neat solution  :)
I look forward to using  KID with a 700W 24v turbine
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

Halfcrazy

DGD
That is correct. There are 3 female connectors on the Kid for a 2 bladed fuse. Depending on which two of them you insert the fuse into will dictate if the Battery or the Input is being diverted. When using it as a clipper you will likely need to buy the resistor box from us as it will need a snubber circuit in it to protect the Kid from voltage spikes when clipping. boB and Mario will have more to say there I am sure.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dgd

Ryan,
This diversion function would give the KID features way beyond anything I have seen with other mppt controllers in this size and price range. The option to divert power from the battery bank or input power to the load outputs is excellent. Others only seem to allow battery power to the load output.
The turbine support with this diversion, even if it needs an MN resistor box/controller, is also a welcome feature.
Can't wait  ;)
dgd

Robin

I had to think about the last comments a bit..... You will definitely need to use the MidNite Clipper load. The KID will self destruct if using a plain old resistor. There isn't enough profit built into the KID to be helping people try to save a few bucks by building their own load. The results would be bad in some cases, so it will definitely be a MidNite product.
I didn't realize that we would be doing load diversion off the battery? I suppose we can though. You won't want to do that for a turbine or hydro though as you would want to use the MPPT function. What configuration would you be doing PWM load diversion in? Heating water might work, but the KID isn't a large controller. What other configurations would it be useful for? (We need more info for the manual)
By the way, I heard that Mario and Andrews drag and drop code uploader is now functional. That is a major breakthrough. I think we will be sending out Beta units as early as next week. The code won't be totally done, but upgrading is supposed to be much easier than the Classic. I got to play with Classic #3 in Hawaii last week. It is really a nice controller. Just sophisticated enough to be really versatile, but it isn't intimidating. It appears to be solid as a rock too.
I attached a picture of the KID system that I built in the living room so I could learn to use the KID and help write the manual. How many of you on the forum are taking advantage of the beta program? Did I mention that you get a lifetime warranty with the purchase of a beta KID? You can probably twist our arm for a free WhizBang Jr also. The KID is going to be a big deal in the industry!
Robin Gudgel

mtdoc

Quote from: Robin on December 10, 2013, 12:41:11 AM
I attached a picture of the KID system that I built in the living room so I could learn to use the KID and help write the manual. How many of you on the forum are taking advantage of the beta program? Did I mention that you get a lifetime warranty with the purchase of a beta KID? You can probably twist our arm for a free WhizBang Jr also. The KID is going to be a big deal in the industry!

Nice - a marine Kid. So does that mean your living room is on a boat? ;)

Looking forward to my beta Kid. I may have to plug it into one of my Classics spots for early testing since I will need to wait until warmer weather before I put my next array or hydro system in.  It was 10 degrees F at our place here in the Olympic foothills 2 days ago!

Did you say free WBJr?  Whose arm do I twist...
Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2.

tecnodave

The deals just keep getting better all the time,    That does look like water past the dock!

td
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

dgd

Quote from: Robin on December 10, 2013, 12:41:11 AM
I had to think about the last comments a bit..... You will definitely need to use the MidNite Clipper load. The KID will self destruct if using a plain old resistor. There isn't enough profit built into the KID to be helping people try to save a few bucks by building their own load. The results would be bad in some cases, so it will definitely be a MidNite product.

That makes sense. The Clipper load will probably be wirewound resistors and need, as Ryam says, snubber circuitry to eliminate inductive voltage spikes.

I didn't realize that we would be doing load diversion off the battery? I suppose we can though. You won't want to do that for a turbine or hydro though as you would want to use the MPPT function. What configuration would you be doing PWM load diversion in? Heating water might work, but the KID isn't a large controller. What other configurations would it be useful for? (We need more info for the manual)

With LOAD connections on the KID I assume his would allow the KID to monitor DC current to DC loads. I assume this current would come from the battery or if there is power input from PVs or whatever then this would contribute to the required load current.
The KID would then know exactly how much power is being used to charge the battery and adjust the charging time as required.
It seems also that the LOAD connections are fuse protected. The docs would need to explain suitable loads, small inverter, lighting etc and warn against inductive loads such as small heaters using wirewould resistor type elements.

There is also the possibility of rte KID charging two seperate batteries such as a house battery and starter battery in an RV or boat..etc.
The KIDs LOAD connects to the second battery and could feed a fixed small current, an amp or so or configurable amount.  Or perhaps when the main battery gets to Absorb/Float the KID Pwms power to the LOAD battery.

Did I mention that you get a lifetime warranty with the purchase of a beta KID? You can probably twist our arm for a free WhizBang Jr also. The KID is going to be a big deal in the industry!

Will the KID be able to interface to the WBjr to manage battery charging etc..

dgd

dgd

I was just thinking how this load diversion from the KID could find other spplications.

One that came to mind is the small mixed pv/wind turbine system.
A small PV array, say 1Kw in 24v battery bank using KID in solar mode. If the turbine, say 700W or less, is connected directly to battery then if pvs and turbine are providing power the KID will go through normal charge cycle and may send no pv  power to bank if turbine is making power. So the KID could have its diversion mode to take power from the battery bank to the Clipper load hence keeping the battery at the Float or Absorb voltage and prevent overcharging.

The turbine will be happy always seeing the battery voltage. Although with some interesting use of the AUX output, especially if it can PWM,
a 3 phase turbine could be loaded with an SSR and resistors on its AC inputs before the rectifier. Maybe there is a potential option for a Midnite small AC Clipper for the KID that can deal with up to 700W AC turbines  ;)

Having the ability to use the Clipper as a battery Clipper would be ideal for weirdo PVs such as the CdTe types.

All this depends of course on the current max that can be sent out the load connectors on the KID

dgd

Halfcrazy

DGD
You are correct the KID does work with the WBjr. You are also correct that the possibilities are huge with this thing. I to can see the Clipper circuit driving a Solid state 3 phase relay to PWM the 3 phases of a turbine. And at 30 amps on a 48 volt battery that's a 1500 watt turbine. Now we are cooking with Electric...

Ryan

vtmaps

Quote from: Halfcrazy on December 11, 2013, 05:27:06 AM
Now we are cooking with Electric...

Its nice that you can say that here... A couple of folks have been banned over at NAWS for discussing off-grid  electric cooking.

--vtMaps (still cooking with propane)     :(

Halfcrazy

Trust me no one will "EVER" be banned on this forum for cooking with Electric.  8)

TomW

Quote from: vtmaps on December 11, 2013, 05:44:24 AM

Its nice that you can say that here... A couple of folks have been banned over at NAWS for discussing off-grid  electric cooking.

--vtMaps (still cooking with propane)     :(

Now that seems harsh? We are not 100% off grid (yet) but use RE to cook with our toaster oven when the power is available. Much better than propane and heating the big oven. I know of more than one person using electric to cook that are off grid, too so it can be done.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Tons001

Quote from: Halfcrazy on December 11, 2013, 06:18:31 AM
Trust me no one will "EVER" be banned on this forum for cooking with Electric.  8)

I like NAWS and there are some smart people over there ...... BUT, this forum is much more polite and friendly to be apart of.
8 Sopray SR-90 panels, MN Classic 150 w/ WBjr, Sunxtender 12v/305ah, Trimetric 2025a, Morningstar SureSine Inverters & RelayDriver, IOTA DLS-55