Report Card for Beta Units...??

Started by Westbranch, December 10, 2013, 01:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

It may be time to replace this unit. I will talk to Mario today.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

Then clouds moved, sun out, pv in voltage rose to 82v, power at 460 watts.
Then I noticed the KID was showing battery voltage at near one volt greater than it actually was and was going to ABSORB at 29v whereas the real battery V was 28.2 and Classic was still BULKMPPT.
dgd;

A big (ish) voltage drop from The Kid to battery under charging conditions smells like a poor connection or undersized cabling. As a test I would check the drop across the battery cable. One lead on battery terminal other on input at the Kid or Kid side of the battery breaker.   It could be the breaker is resistive and dropping voltage across it, too. If this drop matches your voltage error then it is not The Kid but the drop in the battery to Kid circuit.

I don't know your skill level with electricity but these are the first things I would test with a discrepancy between idle voltage and passing current voltage. When current flows through a conductor the resistance all conductors have  drops the voltage proportional to the resistance and current flow. In case you do not know this. A bad connection or faulty resistive breaker or undersized cable would exhibit this voltage drop and a higher voltage on the source side (Kid).

Just FYI.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

TomW

In the previous post I said
When current flows through a conductor the resistance all conductors have  drops the voltage proportional to the resistance and current flow.

That is not entirely accurate.

The drop is current squared times the resistance. Just for the sake of accuracy.

Proportional was a poor choice of words.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

vtmaps

Quote from: TomW on March 13, 2014, 09:05:06 AM
When current flows through a conductor the resistance all conductors have  drops the voltage proportional to the resistance and current flow.

The drop is current squared times the resistance. Just for the sake of accuracy.

I think it was better the first time.  The voltage drop is proportional to the resistance.  The power lost in the resistance is proportional to the square of the current.

--vtMaps

TomW

Quote from: vtmaps on March 13, 2014, 10:08:58 AM
Quote from: TomW on March 13, 2014, 09:05:06 AM

I think it was better the first time.  The voltage drop is proportional to the resistance.  The power lost in the resistance is proportional to the square of the current.

--vtMaps

vt;

Yes, I should just sit on my hands some times. Both made sense when I typed them. The voltage drop was the point and I should have just left the details up to others.

Thanks for the catch. Accuracy is what is important.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mario

dgd, we better get that unit back so I can troubleshoot it here. That kid has problems
Please send an email to Ryan so he can RMA it.

Mario

dgd

Quote from: TomW on March 13, 2014, 08:54:30 AM
A big (ish) voltage drop from The Kid to battery under charging conditions smells like a poor connection or undersized cabling. As a test I would check the drop across the battery cable. One lead on battery terminal other on input at the Kid or Kid side of the battery breaker.   It could be the breaker is resistive and dropping voltage across it, too. If this drop matches your voltage error then it is not The Kid but the drop in the battery to Kid circuit.

Tom,

I had actually already considered this, the cable is 6mm2, and the breaker an MN surface mount type 40A, also re-tightened cable connections everywhere but now I will just replace both the breaker and cable today.
When this switching to resting was occuring I did feel all the cables but none were even slightly warm but I did not look at  the breaker.

Poor weather now for a few days but should get sun next week and will retest.
Thanks again... :)

dgd

Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand