Clippers, Resistors & Burned Slip Rings

Started by devo, December 21, 2013, 09:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

Yes I like the idea of the Mini Split set to Auto. On a day like today it would cool the building and load the battery. Win/Win. I would also suggest getting something like the classic on the PV so you could manually shut it down in a case like today. And then maybe use an Aux from that Solar Classic to hold a SSR for the Mini Split on maybe? So you could turn it off remotely if ever needed

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Westbranch

that Mini-split is a real good solution, 24/7/365.. since that container is exposed and probably can heat up somewhat in winter too on a bright day.  You could even use it to pull down the battery if you found it never really cycling to you targets, that is assuming the Nl-Ld weather cooperates... ::)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Robin

I don't know what Classic you are using? The Clipper should have brought the turbine down to 65 volts or so if you have a 48V battery bank. It did not do that. The question is did the Classic send a signal to reduce the voltage? Was the Clipper able to bring the voltage down? If you are using a Classic 200, I would be setting the Clipper for about 160V. The turbine isn't making any real power above 100 volts more than likely. We need to do a better job of integration between the Clipper and Classics. We also need to add a storm mode that acts automatically. We also need to identify which resistor bank to use with more turbines. Unfortunately that would require a sample of each turbine and a wind tunnel. We are building a wind tunnel that will put out some serious wind, but without each and every turbine, it is tough to recommend the correct resistor.
Back to your problem.....if the Classic and Clipper were communicating correctly, then the resistor bank may be too high of ohms. Then again, it might be that the stator is not strong enough to be controlled at those wind speeds regardless of the resistance. All stators will have a limit to which they will break free even if shorted out. Too bad the manufacturers don't tell you that spec. Can you ask them?
By the way, the fiberglass boards are rated for 130C. The fets should not go over 95 to 100. I think the Classic was unloading to keep from dumping more power?
Robin Gudgel

devo

Hey guys, just wanted to post a little update on our classic/clipper setups.

For the past year this site has been running 24/7 on wind and solar, with 100% uptime. The two Classics and the Clipper perform flawlessly. The battery bank is consistently in float. All of our sites now run Midnite Classics exclusively.

The Clipper has certainly proven its reliability. These products can't be beaten for quality.

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

devo

I don't have any pics handy - we haven't even visited the site in 6 months! A couple of pictures of the box/panels/tower are posted earlier in this thread.

The site runs on four 250w panels, a 1500w HYEnergy wind turbine, two Classic 250's, a 4KW Clipper and eight Rolls-Surrette S12-240AGM batteries. The average load at the site is only about 50w, but it's a critical segment of our network.

I'm building another identical setup for another site right now, so perhaps I can post a few pictures of the completed wiring in a few days.