Other MidNite Electronics > MidNite SPD (Lightning arrestor)

MNSPD Wiring for 120V AC Panel

<< < (2/5) > >>

Halfcrazy:
Look in the panel and see if the AC neutral (White) wires are mixed in with the ground (Bare) wires. If so then that panel is bonded. If they are all neatly separated than assume that panels is isolated.

Ryan

mjp24coho:
I'm fairly certain they are not bonded then - there are separate neutral and ground bus bars, and the bars are not connected from what I recall.  The obvious next question then - should they be bonded?  I'm still trying to get my head around neutral-to-ground bonding, including the benefits, needs, and risks if not.  Is there any neutral-to-ground bonding that occurs in the pre-wired E-Panel?

Halfcrazy:
yes if this is an Offgrid scenario the bond could very well be made in the Epanel. You definitely want one bond for sure but not 2. Even though the wires in the electric panel are separate one of them could still be bonded. There is a green bonding screw typically shipped with all the electrical panels and the electrician could have installed it. Typically the bond is made at the same panel that has the ground rod hooked to it.

Ryan

mjp24coho:
Do you know if the Midnite pre-wired E-Panels (with Magnum inverters and Classics pre-installed) come with neutral to ground bonding already wired?  I looked at the magnum inverter manual, and it has a neutral-to-ground bonding included within it, which can be removed if necessary.  I need to make sure I don't have two such bondings in my system.  I'll also have to double check to make sure my main AC panel doesn't have any neutral-to-ground bonding - I know it doesn't via any bond wires/jumpers between the neutral and ground bus bars, but I don't know if the ground bus bar is bonded to the panel frame (via the bonding screw) - I'll have to check.  My generator (which feeds the inverter) does not have neutral-to-ground bonding.  I understand the entire system should only have one - even though it's preferred to be at the source, it would be easiest to have it occur within the AC panel, unless there are any concerns with it not being at the source (generator or inverter).  I recognize this has turned more into a discussion about neutral-to-ground bonding, which can be a never ending discussion, but I appreciate any input out there.

tecnodave:
To satisfy the NEC there shall be only one bond and that needs to be in the "main panel". In this case that would be the epanel  because both that generator and inverter feed it. The generator and inverter should have separate neutral and ground, "not bonded"  The "main Panel " in the garage in this case would be considered a sub panel as there are main breakers in the epanel that are the first breakers from the power source and would have separate ground and neutral busses in the "main panel" in the garage. The cabin panel would also have separate neutral and ground,(not bonded)  but with an additional ground rod connected to the ground buss. (As of NEC 2008) (separate building)  The feed from the main panel to the sub panel needs to be 3 wire (120 volt) or 4 wire (240 volt) with separate neutral and ground conductors. The ground wire from main panel to sub panel would be 6 ga up to 100 feet but 4 ga for this installation (125 feet) assuming that the conductors are encased in a conduit or raceway. The neutral and hot wires would also be one gauge up for that distance.

There are no changes from this on the NEC 2011 or NEC 2014 but all jurisdictions do not use the same code set.

I agree with Ryan's approach to wiring the SPD's although I have not checked the NEC on this case, I have done SPD's on 240 volt utility feed panels where black goes to L1 and red to L2 through a dedicated breaker and green to ground buss. And do check if there is a green bonding screw on the neutral buss on the sub panel, if there is, remove it as this would be a violation of the NEC.

td

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version