Reverse Polarity

Started by cmb88psc19, January 14, 2014, 10:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmb88psc19

I have and array with 12 - 245Watt Solar Panels. They consist of 2 Panels connect in series for a total of 6 circuits. We realised the the SPD115 wouldn't Illuminate we checked through and found that one of the circuits was reversed.

Based on the IMP we estimated that we would get a combined input in the charge controller of 40 - 45Amps however it doesnt surpass 30Amps.

The spd115 is still in place so my question is with the spd apparantly out of commission would this affect the amount of current reaching the charge controller.

Halfcrazy

Not sure? The SPD should not be hurt by reverse polarity? I wonder if the GFP circuit is not enabled and that's why the LEDs are not working?

As far as the amperage I assume you have a 48 volt battery? If so under perfect conditions I would expect around 40-45 amps to. Is there any shading at all?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

cmb88psc19

Yeah its a 48Volt system and their is absolutely no shading where the panels are. We also notice that each panel circuit on its on before combining reads 7 - 9 amps but once combined each production drops to 10-11 which does compute. Whats the GFP Circuit?

cmb88psc19

I also forgot to ask can the SPD cause the output to decrease before reaching the charge controller

Westbranch

Do you have a Classic Charge Controller? if so it is built in and thee jumper has  to be used, see page 22  of the manual
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

cmb88psc19

its a outback charge controller

vtmaps

Quote from: cmb88psc19 on January 14, 2014, 04:51:54 PM
We also notice that each panel circuit on its own before combining reads 7 - 9 amps but once combined each production drops to 10-11 which does compute.

I don't understand what you're saying here... how does something producing 7-9 amps drop to 10-11 amps?

You estimated that you should have 45 amps on the input to the controller, but are getting only 30.  This is normal if your batteries are in absorb... the controller throttles back the current so as not to raise the battery voltage above the absorb set point.

Also you have a 2940 watt array.  Under normal operating conditions (panels are hot from the sun) you should expect to get only about 75% of rated output, and that assumes clear sky, mid day, and panels aimed at sun.   

I am guessing that the Vmp of your panel strings is about 60 volts.  60 volts X 30 amps = 1800 watts which is 61% of rated output. 

Depending on circumstances, this may or may not be a problem.

cmb88psc19

This is however a set of four is wired could the wiring affect the production

cmb88psc19

thats the skyview of how the panels are laid on the roof and connected

dgd

Quote from: cmb88psc19 on January 14, 2014, 05:07:00 PM
I also forgot to ask can the SPD cause the output to decrease before reaching the charge controller

Unlikely, My SPD does not affect the PV in voltage. If you think yours is at fault then just disconnect it and see if the PV voltages are different.
When you connect strings together and the current to battery decreases are you sure its not simply because the controller has moved out of BULK MPPT to ABSORB (or to FLOAT) hence less current is needed?
If you see this current reduction when connecting parallel strings and the controller stays in BULK MPPT then it may be a wiring issue with one of the strings. This should be easy to identify by connecting/disconnecting each string in turn.
This would be easy if you have each string with its own breaker in the combiner box

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

cmb88psc19

I disconnected the SPD from the combiner no change in output so its definitely a wiring insure so I'm arranging to increase the voc over the weekend. I replaced the SPD with a new one and once i turned on one of the circuit breakers it showed a bright blow for less than a second then goes dim i did a couple time and it remains the same. From a distance i cant see the blue light only up close and sometimes it seems the flicker.

In suggestions of this is fine?

Halfcrazy

Yes that proves my earlier theory that there is no Ground fault protection in the system and battery negative is not bonded to ground...

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

cmb88psc19

I would accept that as the issue however my friend has one without bonding at it has a bright blue.