inverter high battery cut out

Started by GHOSTNH, January 23, 2014, 03:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GHOSTNH

here is what happens
on grid power 3pm to 9 am
on solar  from when ever the sun come up till it goes down 3600watts total available

three times so far since installed.. today being the third and worst. my inverter sw5548 goes into high battery voltage shut down.. high voltage  cut out is set to 57vdc.. when this happens the midnite 200lite continues to charge the batteries  today after 2 hr of the inverter shut down battery voltage was 60vdc way to high for my gnb agm batterys.. the lite did go to float mode before the inverter shut down.. absorb mode is set to 55.2 volt  2hr absorb ..float is set to 52.6volts..  im looking for a way to control the lite from letting the voltage get above say 56vdc and also no lower then 48vdc..  i would like a automatic way of doing it .. any suggestions..

when the inverter shut down i loose everything heat internet etc the heat being the worst cus i use a pellet stove to heat with and it does not like loosing pwr smoke fills the house and then the alarms all go off and you all can guess what happens next lots of useless people show up..none of whom understand my solar pwr system.  even worst it happen during the coldest of days ..
12 Canadian solar 300 watt panels trace sw5548 two GNB battery banks 1200ahr and 1400ahr total 2600ahr 48v 1 classic lite  5kw backup gen

dgd

Quote from: GHOSTNH on January 23, 2014, 03:19:08 PM

three times so far since installed.. today being the third and worst. my inverter sw5548 goes into high battery voltage shut down.. high voltage  cut out is set to 57vdc..

57v seems way too low, can't you adjust this up to about 64 volts then the problem goes away
Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

GHOSTNH

Although you can set the high battery voltage on the inverter from 20-66vdc ...The battery spec say 2.30vdc per cell max x 24 cells= 55.2.. Also the controller continues to charge the batterys even after the inverter shut down. I  need a way to control the LITE.. So it disconnects from the battery or stop charging until the battery voltage drops to xxx and then restarts i typical run the battery between 48-55vdc  so that i get max cycles out of the batterys... these batterys are not cheap 1 bank is like 25k new
12 Canadian solar 300 watt panels trace sw5548 two GNB battery banks 1200ahr and 1400ahr total 2600ahr 48v 1 classic lite  5kw backup gen

Halfcrazy

My guess is (As you are close to me) the batteries are cold and the Classic is compensating for that. What is the battery temp? You can set limits to the temperature compensation. To set the limits go to the Config tab and then the Advance tab on the local app. Under temperature compensation there is a Minimum and Maximum voltage setting. These are the limits the temperature compensation is allowed to go to period.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

Maybe a dumb suggestion but did you calibrate the Classic battery voltage in the tweaks menu? Might be off and that could be an issue.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

GHOSTNH

TOM
calibrated  app to real battery voltage

ryan if you chk the  my MYMIDNITE account you will see that the  LITE continued to charge even after the inverter/network shut down today. it hit 57.2 volts inverter shut down and when i got home ( after frantic calls) and got the inverter to start again the  battery voltage recorded on the next data stream  to my midnite was 60.9 volts( way to high for the batterys).. what im seeing is that there is no way to regulate the controller float current once the battery voltage is hit .. i need to fix this issue some how  i will send you my phone # via pvt msg . if possiable call  tonight or fri A.M.

Halfcrazy

The classic will charge independent of the inverter so if it feels it is supposed to charge to a higher voltage the inverter can not shut it down.

Please look at the battery temperature and let me know what it is?

And maybe you can get us a screen shot of the advanced screen as shown?

Ryan

Vic

Ghost ..,

As others have said,  you really do not need,  nor should you want the inverter/s to shut down.

The Classic Lite is independent of the inverter -- just connected to a common battery (at least at times,  dunno how your dual banks are configured).

When battery temperature changes,  chargers need to change the charge voltage in order to have the same effect on the chemical reaction that causes batteries to charge.

Some batteries may have absolute max and perhaps minimum voltage limits while being charged.

I have seen my Classics limit Absorption V,  based on the V Limit set in the Classic.   Am certain that this Max V Limit setting would affect the Float VOLTAGE.    Trying to use a Float Current limit would be a poor way to try to limit the Float voltage,  as  the Classic (or other chargers)  may need to supply a wide range of currents while maintaining the compensated Float voltage.

Right now,  am running a resistance heater while in Float.   The Classic has been delivering about 35 A of current while maintaining Vfloat.

Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

GHOSTNH

vic  correct I DO NOT WANT  the inverter to shut down cuz all hell breaks loose when it does as previuosly posted. the dual battery banks are in parallel. individually fused .. all true about the battery temp  compensation for chargeing.. here is what i see

1 if only the inverter is charging the batterys ( on grid)   and the float is set to 52.6vdc the batterys are maintained at that voltage..

with the LITE charging the batterys there is no over voltage shut down  even after float is made the controller continues to charge the batterys.. what happened yesterday is that the inverter shut down at 57.2 volts ( my midnite and the app proves this ) after i  got home the battery voltage was over 60.7vdc ( the lite was still charging the battery at x amps ( cus i see no way to program overvoltage shutdown condition in the app) this is a dangerous condition in my opinion) after i was apply to get the inverter/internet back on line the app and my midnites first data stream show the battery voltage at 60.x volts  which further proves there is no voltage reguation or over voltage shutdown occuring.
the only way i see to work around this issue is to install a high current relay that can disable the output of the LITE at x battery voltage via the aux1/2 controls and also enable it at xx voltage .. any one got something like this running ??

yes i can add a dump load on the battery also controlled by the aux1/2 ports.

if i had a net metering system that also works cuz that i can program it  thru the inverter

Halfcrazy

Also to add by definition the LITE has over voltage protection. It is a charge controller so by definition it is designed to charge to the parameters set and not above them ever

Ryan

Halfcrazy

Talking with GhostNH now on the phone. The battery is at -7.7C so the Classic is doing what it was supposed to. We have now disabled Compensation for now.

Ryan

Vic

BUT,  Ryan,  I only use Standard Classics -- with MNGP -- so the App  does not have a maximum temp compensated charge V,  like the standard Classic does in the Limits menu??

Sorry,  have never used the App.

And Ghost..  sorry,  my entire MN Classic experience  is limited to only using the MNGP control/display panel on the standard Classic.

AND,  with that MUCH battery and that "little" inverter and PV,  had ASSUMED  that you were exclusively off-grid.

Good Luck,  Keep warm,      Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

GHOSTNH

todays update
Ryan  called  and help me to understand the setting on the LITE app panel better
turns out that the voltage limits are in the advanced menu under the temp comp header mine was never set cuz like most i assumed that was for the temp comp.. turn out i was wrong !!.. also was pointed out by Ryan that the high voltage limit setting is interactive with the voltage equilize setting in the basic menu.. again all of this is undocument on the app info..

decide i would monitor the app today and see if the LITE really did regulate the voltage current with the new settings

so like yesterday every thing stayed the same uniitil @ 12:30 then i shut off all loads to the inverter( loads where switched to the grid) at this point the app showed 55.4 vdc in absorb mode and stay at 55.4 until it switched to float and then the watts dropped to zero and stay there untill the battery voltage came down to the float setting then the watts came back some and the pv voltage stay in the 115 to 130 region  (like an open circuit)

so all in all THANKS TO RYAN  i have what i want happening with out any added circuits/controls

Ryan no info yet from gnb on the right temp comp number

wonders how many other folks out there realize that the limits settings need to be changed on their controllers from the defaults 
and where to change them
before any big boom happens from over charging??

Halfcrazy

Well in reality I think your settings where correct. I suspect at -8C the batteries truly want at or close to 60v to be full. I will be waiting to see what GNB says.