New firmware for the Beta Kids

Started by Halfcrazy, February 05, 2014, 06:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

So we have the new boot loader for the Kid working very well. I am not going to put the updater up live as it is only needed for these Betas and can actually brick the device if done wrong so I am going to ask for email requests and I will email out the boot loader.

This only works with windows 7. If you have any other windows we will need to RMA the Kid and update it for you.

ryan@midnitesolar.com

Here are the instructions:
procedure:
- Save the "bootloader_updater_512.out" to your pc where it is easy to find
- Go to our software tab and download the Kid firmware file "MNKID_firmware1709.fup" and save it to your pc where it is easy to find
- Connect your kid via USB to your pc
- Go to menu Firmware Update and select it
- When the kid connects to your pc grag and drop the bootloader_updater_512.out to the kid
- Wait until the top green led stops blinking (takes like 2 minutes)...(don't screw it up you only get one shot at this)
- Manually reboot kid  and it should appear in the screen as BOOTLOADER 2.1
- The kid will appear again in your PC now Drag & Drop this new firmware "MNKID_firmware1709.fup".
- The kid will disconnect automatically from the PC and will decode the firmware
- Wait until it goes to 100% and disconnect the USB cable.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dapdan

TomW

Ryan;

I am in. You have mail...

Thanks.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

TomW

Just did this this AM on Win 7 Home Premium and it worked treat.

Just followed the directions above and it uploaded the firmware via Ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop after I uploaded the bootloader via Win 7.

Thanks, guys.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Westbranch

Ryan, for the betas do you expect another update soon or is this it for a while?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Halfcrazy

I expect very frequent updates. This will be the .FUP file that is off the website that just gets D&D into the kid. This particular one is a new boot loader and is basically a Must and then you use the .FUP file that you will find on the software tab on our website. So to be clear this step now is actually 2 steps, The new bootloader and then the new firmware. So this is a must "Before" you install the new firmware

Mario

To everyone,
This is what's new on firmware version 1709:
Version 1709:
- Added go to Main Status screen in 5 min of no operation.
- Added LCD power mode and key wake up
- LCD Power Setting Saved in EEprom
- Back-light and Contrast now under SETUP in LCD menu
- Added Manual EQ
- Settings for EQ are under SETUP in the EQ Menu
- Fixed negative temp display
- fixed the negative FET temp issue RFR 6
- added LED functionality
- added save functions for LED and LCD
- added BCM to count days without float for BCM LED function

Mario

zoneblue

A tip for these kind of critical software updates:  A fully charged but unplugged, 100% known reliable laptop is the best. This gets around a number of (albeit rare) possible problems. Other than possible USB voltage issues, what you dont want is a computer that drops into hibernate, someone or something  tripping over your power cord, power cut, brown out etc etc.  Those would be, like, bad.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

atop8918

onanparts

Quote from: Halfcrazy on February 05, 2014, 06:43:15 AM
So we have the new boot loader for the Kid working very well. I am not going to put the updater up live as it is only needed for these Betas and can actually brick the device if done wrong so I am going to ask for email requests and I will email out the boot loader.

This only works with windows 7. If you have any other windows we will need to RMA the Kid and update it for you.

Ryan, will this work with 64 bit W7?
I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

Mario

Quote from: onanparts on February 06, 2014, 12:41:26 PM

Not Ryan, but yes it will work on W7 64 bits.
Actually that is what I was running when testing it.

Mario

onanparts

Quote from: Mario on February 06, 2014, 01:17:13 PM
Quote from: onanparts on February 06, 2014, 12:41:26 PM

Not Ryan, but yes it will work on W7 64 bits.
Actually that is what I was running when testing it.

Mario

Yup! 64 bit Win 7 worked fine with new BL and FW.  :)

Just a note on the instructions: The BL only took a few seconds before the green light stopped blinking after a drag and drop. The FW is what took 1-2 minutes to update and get to 100%. Not sure if that's a typo or my PC is just really fast?  :)
I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

Bunkie314

So do you have to install the new bootloader in order to get the update? Don't have a windows 7 machine currently. I would like to roll up to the latest beta revision due to some of the issues it corrects.
10-ePVL 136w unisolar panels, 3-lifeline 4D AGM batteries, 2012 Magnasine inverter/charger and two kids on mobile app.

30 Solartech 305w mono awaits remote cabin install

Halfcrazy

Yes the new bootloader is a must before any new firmware can be installed. We can always do an RMA and get it back if finding a windows 7 laptop is not an option. Please contact me via email for that

ryan@midnitesolar.com

ClassicCrazy

Installed new bootloader via Windows 7 , then update . It all went according to plan - though I did need to reset the Kid when I first went to firmware update for the computer to see it.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable