New firmware for the Beta Kids

Started by Halfcrazy, February 05, 2014, 06:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunkie314

Okay. I'll borrow a laptop.

I need to get an email off for the bootloader.

10-ePVL 136w unisolar panels, 3-lifeline 4D AGM batteries, 2012 Magnasine inverter/charger and two kids on mobile app.

30 Solartech 305w mono awaits remote cabin install

Bunkie314

Okay next dumb question.  Will only a windows 7 system be able to update firmware after the new Bootloader is installed or can other windows OS be used?
10-ePVL 136w unisolar panels, 3-lifeline 4D AGM batteries, 2012 Magnasine inverter/charger and two kids on mobile app.

Mario

Quote from: Bunkie314 on February 07, 2014, 05:31:03 PM
Okay next dumb question.  Will only a windows 7 system be able to update firmware after the new Bootloader is installed or can other windows OS be used?

The new Bootloader 2.1 (new) supports Windows XP/7/8/8.1 , and linux. Pretty much anything but Mac.

I even think Ryan has updated it with his Android device which supports USB Host. Right Ryan?

Mario

dgd

Quote from: Mario on February 05, 2014, 12:36:31 PM
To everyone,
This is what's new on firmware version 1709:
Version 1709:
..etc..

Some nice additions in 1709. Thanks.

Do you have a list of the new features  that you are working on for the KID?
I would be interested in any AUX functions you will be adding.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Bunkie314

Quote from: Mario on February 07, 2014, 06:17:10 PM
Quote from: Bunkie314 on February 07, 2014, 05:31:03 PM

The new Bootloader 2.1 (new) supports Windows XP/7/8/8.1 , and linux. Pretty much anything but Mac.

I even think Ryan has updated it with his Android device which supports USB Host. Right Ryan?

Mario

So I could potentially use a tablet or my note II phone?  Now that is nice! ;D

RossW

Quote from: Mario on February 07, 2014, 06:17:10 PM

Is that because you hate the mac and won't support it; because you haven't got around to it yet (but it's coming); or "it may work but I don't have a mac to try it with"?

If it works for linux, it should work for Mac, since Mac is basically FreeBSD under the hood.
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

dapdan

Houston,

We have a problem. I was updating the kid and now it seems to be not responding. I actually got two betas. The first one went fine. Ok while I was doing the second I notice something strange but I continued anyway. The screen was flickering every so slightly. I uploaded the boot loader flashing green light stoped. Then I re-booted it and it did not display the "bootloader v2.1" thing. Instead all of the holiday led were light and the display showed nothing except an inked out first row and an dim back light. Please "doc" give it to me straight.

Cheers...
Damani

Westbranch

I just have to ask , more because I don't think this may be an issue, and , secondly because I am not familiar with the vagaries of the OS of the machine.. 

Will it work on a 32 bit Windows 7 LITE notebook machine?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Halfcrazy

Dapdan
Sounds like trouble but I will let Mario respond.

Westbranch
On windows I suspect it should work just fine on the 32bit windows 7

RossW
I am told Mac does something funny with there Drivers that causes it not to work. I will ask Andrew for a better definition though.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

atop8918

Hi,
Yeah you would think OSX / BSD would work, but apparently the Mac version of BSD does something non-standard with USB devices. While I was working on the Bootloader I found that Linux and Windows dump the file and file system data as you would expect -- albeit in different orders. Mac did nothing. No data came down the wire even though the file showed up as being on the device on the OS-side. I tried ejecting the device -- again, no data came down the wire but the device showed up as ejected and removed. When I dug a little deeper I found that NXP -- the manufacturer of the chipset we use -- mentioned in their application notes that they did not support Mac for USB as they do something non-standard. I think the gist of it is you have to pay them cash money in order for them to either add your device to their list of "things that just work" with Mac so the OS will actually write to the device, or for them to tell you the sneaky trick required to trigger the data transfer.
That is my suspicion but I have not basis for this conclusion and don't want to get sued by Apple for spreading potential misinformation. I also don't want to pay them any extortion money.

Free Energy Freak

400 watts, MS ProStar 30m, 12vdc @ 240 AH - Internal lighting & 12v Shurflo pump at farm.
270 watts, Beta Kid, 12vdc @ 120AH - Back up internet, computer, during weekly power cuts.
100 watts, MS Sunlight 10a, 12vdc @ 50AH - Exterior LED perimeter lighting at farm.

dgd

This boot loader and firmware update is real easy compared to firmware updating a Classic.
Followed the instructions but after getting to TECH menu and to firmware update and pressed ENTER as instructed then NOTHING. Supposed to go into update mode but it doesn't. Did this about 20 times, power off/on KID and checked the USB cable to WIN7 laptop.
Gave up to next day and started again, same process and NOTHING, I pressed that ENTER rubber button enough to push it out the back of the KID  and halfway to USA but still nothing.
About to give up again when I started sneezing as I pushed the ENTER key and the KID went into update mode.
The laptop showed new F: drive
From there drag and drop went well
1712 loaded up good and it seems stable. Have not seen much battery voltage wandering away from actual voltage but need to load up inputs of KID and see what 'appens.
The stress and heat is too much, need some beersies  :D
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

Halfcrazy

Quote from: Free Energy Freak on February 10, 2014, 04:56:47 PM
Ryan,

Email sent a bit ago.

Sorry If I missed anyone. I was out all week at a show. Hit me again via Email ryan@midnitesolar.com

I am still trying to go backwards through emails from last week

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

Quote from: dgd on February 16, 2014, 11:19:30 PM
Gave up to next day and started again, same process and NOTHING, I pressed that ENTER rubber button enough to push it out the back of the KID  and halfway to USA but still nothing.
About to give up again when I started sneezing as I pushed the ENTER key and the KID went into update mode.

dgd;

Not to beat a dead horse but I had noticed this anomaly with the buttons on The Kid. A key press needs to be firm and prolonged and not just a short tap.

I think this was addressed in another thread and longer buttons was the proposed "fix"?

On my Classic(s) if you hold the button down too long you might activate the next option selection so was spoiled by the quick jab selection method?
Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dgd

Quote from: TomW on February 17, 2014, 11:30:54 AM

dgd;

Not to beat a dead horse but I had noticed this anomaly with the buttons on The Kid. A key press needs to be firm and prolonged and not just a short tap.

I think this was addressed in another thread and longer buttons was the proposed "fix"?

On my Classic(s) if you hold the button down too long you might activate the next option selection so was spoiled by the quick jab selection method?
Tom

Thanks Tom. I had not noticed those messages about button sensitivity but now I am more careful and there is a definite technique to getting the button press just right.

The battery voltage reading drift is now definitely resolved with 1712.
5 days and the KID battery voltage is spot on with the Classics and Fluke.
Thanks Mario
dgd