New firmware for the Beta Kids

Started by Halfcrazy, February 05, 2014, 06:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Another way to force a firmware update is to Press and Hold the SETUP button then apply battery voltage, the kid will boot up in firmware update mode.

So, here is the link of the latest firmware update just released today.
Rev 1703 whats new:
-fix LCD going blank
-fix battery voltage drift over time
-added password protection

http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmwareReport.php?firmware_ID=8&firmwareProduct_ID=4&act=edit

Must have Bootloader 2.1 already installed in The Kid

Mario

Highflyer

I hate to be the Newb here and ask a really dumb question but;  Does the Kid need to be powered up with an external power source before trying to update the Bootloader and Firmware?  Or will the USB power form the Windows 7 box be enough to upload the new files.

I know, Newb.....

The problem is my setup is out at the farm and my only Win7 box is at the house.  I guess I will use my truck batter (with fuse) to run the Kid if needed and then use the 7 box to upload the new files.

Can you please think about adding support for macs :)
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

TomW

Quote from: Highflyer on February 17, 2014, 08:08:57 PM
I hate to be the Newb here and ask a really dumb question but;  Does the Kid need to be powered up with an external power source before trying to update the Bootloader and Firmware?  Or will the USB power form the Windows 7 box be enough to upload the new files.

I know, Newb.....

The problem is my setup is out at the farm and my only Win7 box is at the house.  I guess I will use my truck batter (with fuse) to run the Kid if needed and then use the 7 box to upload the new files.

Can you please think about adding support for macs :)

Flyer;

Not sure about The Kid but I updated my Classic with 2 9 volts in series. It should work on The Kid, too. Easier than lugging in the truck battery. Probably don't need fusing either.

No guarantees but easy to test.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Mario

The kid does need to get external power since the USB jack will not provide power, as Tom is suggesting a couple of 2x 9v batteries in series will do the trick as well. Even an old 12v modified wall wart can be used.
Remember that the Kid gets powered from the Battery terminals.

Mario

Highflyer

Tom, that is genius.  I can do a pair of 9volts!! 

Thanks for the help and idea.  I finally got my W7 box updated, when I get back home, I'll do the updates!!  I can't wait to get busy working with better power.

Mario, thought so, I also like the wall wart idea.  I think I will set one up for just this kind of thing as I hope for several more firmware updates as features get added.  Thanks for all your efforts.
Brian

dgd

Mario,
All these changes in 1713 (1712) are all good, the KID appears a lot more stable.
One question about the TIMER display.
This looks like it is a clock display but looks a bit weird with HH MM:SS  That : looks odd by itself maybe a
HH:MM:SS would look better. Also if any of these is a single digit then a leading space is inserted. Again this may look better if a leading zero were inserted
eg     5 7:23  would become 05:07:23
Next question is how can this clock be set to a specific time? I cant find a setup section for it.

On the lower line is
  0y     5d
What is this?

Last, if there is a clock counter then that would allow a daily Ah and KW/hr count and associated display to be included in KID. That would be very useful as presently there is no way of seeing how much energy has been produced.

I understand that without a real time clock circuit and associated battery in the KID that at every power on time the clock would have to me manually reset to current time (on 24 hour clock basis)
The same could be done with date although I cannot see the use for this until you have a method of dumping via serial port the various values. Date stamping them would be very useful for those wanting to develop some sort of reporting system.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

dapdan

Midnite,

Kid 1713 fw update has been successful. I had to use the force update method as the computer was not picking up the kid as a drive. So far so good. No comments as yet will monitor during the day when the sun come up.

Cheers...
Damani

ClassicCrazy

Update 1713 went fine here - put it in firmware update mode, plugged it into computer and then dragged update into that drive - makes it so easy ! 
One question - will the WhizbangJr screen ever read negative amps ?  It does show the battery draw tonight but always shows it as a positive value.
I know the LCD screen space is limited but if I had a choice I would rather see watts displayed on the WBJR screen rather than it's temperature
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Highflyer

FW 1713 loaded in my first Kid straight by the numbers (thanks Mario!).  From what I read, I too would like the colon between the hh:mm:ss.  I would like to propose a compromise for the WBJr readout.  I would like to be able to read both temp and draw.  How about a toggling screen that waits two or three seconds between each reading?  That way we could see both items in just a few seconds.
Brian

Bunkie314

A new gremlin appeared with the FW 1713 update.  Using the day light feature makes the screen go to solid squares and the bottom line blank. Charging appears to continue but requires a power cycle to bring the display back. I've verified this with both betas I have. I'm not running a light but rather connected to another 12 volt battery for charging.  It worked excellent prior to this update. Tuning off this day light function prevents the display from doing this.
10-ePVL 136w unisolar panels, 3-lifeline 4D AGM batteries, 2012 Magnasine inverter/charger and two kids on mobile app.

30 Solartech 305w mono awaits remote cabin install

ClassicCrazy

Where is this setting that messes up the display ? I was just looking for it but couldn't find it Nothing I did with LCD seemed to mess up mine.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Bunkie314

Its under load menu in battery settings you have several options. I had been using the day light function to charge another battery.
10-ePVL 136w unisolar panels, 3-lifeline 4D AGM batteries, 2012 Magnasine inverter/charger and two kids on mobile app.

Bunkie314

Quote from: Bunkie314 on February 22, 2014, 10:49:17 PM
A new gremlin appI it is running up overared with the FW 1713 update.  Using the day light feature makes the screen go to solid squares and the bottom line blank. Charging appears to continue but requires a power cycle to bring the display back. I've verified this with both betas I have. I'm not running a light but rather connected to another 12 volt battery for charging.  It worked excellent prior to this update. Tuning off this day light function prevents the display from doing this.

Actually that is not it. I am not sure what is causing this as I found it this morning again.

Bunkie314

Quote from: Bunkie314 on February 23, 2014, 12:22:49 PM
Quote from: Bunkie314 on February 22, 2014, 10:49:17 PM
A new gremlin appeared it is running up overared with the FW 1713 update.  Using the day light feature makes the screen go to solid squares and the bottom line blank. Charging appears to continue but requires a power cycle to bring the display back. I've verified this with both betas I have. I'm not running a light but rather connected to another 12 volt battery for charging.  It worked excellent prior to this update. Tuning off this day light function prevents the display from doing this.

Actually that is not it. I am not sure what is causing this as I found it this morning again.

Moved to report card thread.

Highflyer

Mario,
Would it be possible to add a feature to the load/clipper side allowing it to run a set of case fans while charging or if the temp was above a owner set limit?  I have an outdoor setup that is encased and it has several fans which have very low draw, but they provide the necessary air flow to keep things cool and vented as needed.

I plan on adding a controller later(most likely a PI), but if they were the only extra I had in the case, it would be great if the Kid could run them (the fans).

Brian