Using the Classic without Clipper for 12V wind applications

Started by nfenergies, March 12, 2014, 02:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nfenergies

This question will probably come up more often now that Southwest Windpower no longer exists. 

I have had many occasions where end users have gone through many circuit cards for SWWP's Whisper 100/200.  It looks like the new manufacturer of this model has made it's own new charge control unit.

So for those which still have the Whisper controller, these circuit cards might begin to be hard to get.  I've had a handful of concerned users approach us for an alternative controller for when that day comes.  Most of these wind turbines in question are set up for 12V battery charging, while there are a few using 24V.

Another point with this is that many of these owners are reluctant to shell out $2000+ to replace the charge controller which may be nearing the end of its life.

Can anybody cite any problems in using Midnite's Turbine Control Box (MNTCB) with a Classic 150 as the diversion load controller?  I feel that perhaps there would be no need to "clip" the AC output of these turbines given their lower voltage.

My reasoning for selecting a Classic 150 would be for the 12V users and the fact that most others diversion controllers that I know/trust max out at 60 amps.

Also, I wonder if the selection of 2 - 600W, 0.8 ohm resistors would be correct for the above application.

As always I appreciate your input and your assistance. 

Thank You

boB

I would really like to see someone try this turbine, with controller removed, in an MPPT mode.

I don't know how high of voltage it will put out, unloaded, but it might not be all that high ?
Might be perfect for, say, a Classic 200 and 12V battery or maybe later with the Kid wind
controller.   It is not all that high of power turbine in the first place and needs high wind
speed to do very much so ~might~ be good in higher winds with MPPT ?   I just don't know.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

First the MNTCB is not a diversion controller it is a rectifier.

While you may take a 12v Whisper 100 and feed say a classic 200 to a 12v battery the issue is not so much a danger of over voltage (Although it may be able to happen) it is one of letting the turbine free wheel when the battery is full or the current limit is reached. I know many have successfully done there own clippers for less money. I would say I would not feel comfortable without some form of clipper circuit just because free wheeling turbines scare me. They tend to activate the ABR (Active Blade Release)
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

kitestrings

I don't recall the specs on the SWWP's (been too long since I worked on one), but I agree with Halfcrazy I wouldn't set any turbine up to run unloaded.  We're getting a sustained 2 1/2 day blow right now.  Imagine this wind, batteries are full and with no one is home.  Scary.

I don't see why you couldn't with a Classic and set one the Aux outputs to connect (via relay) a sufficiently sized to keep the thing in check using PV output hi, or waste not?  We're not taking huge power on these as I recall.

~ks

dgd

Quote from: kitestrings on March 14, 2014, 09:02:55 PM
I don't see why you couldn't with a Classic and set one the Aux outputs to connect (via relay) a sufficiently sized to keep the thing in check using PV output hi, or waste not?  We're not taking huge power on these as I recall.

Yes, thats the way, wastenot high from AUX2 on the Classic 200 to a three phase relay that shorts the ac
legs from the turbine via a 0.8ohm 600watt resistor on each leg.
It would be quite easy to install the relay in the MNTCB box and  there may also be enough room for the resistors and maybe a fan  :)
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

LightPower

I'm using a "Pre-wired MidNite Solar Classic MPPT All-In-One Charge Controller Board with VRD (voltage reducer) for Wind" from Missouri Wind and Solar.

Still can't understand this thing. Last time I used it, the thing drained my two 12v Battleborn batteries below 9volts until the COntroller couldn't function. All within one windy night.

The turbine is supposed to be 12 volts, so why do I need a VRD?? Is the Wind Curve a "Resistance" Curve, or a "Battery Charging, Power Producing Curve"?

More like a learning curve.
x50 FirstSolar 105w 86.2VOC CdTe Solar Panels
x1 Pre-Wired VRD unit w/ a MidNite Classic 150 wired to a  9-Blade 1600watt Freedom PMG Wind Turbine (from Missouri Wind & Solar)
x1 Whiz Bang Jr
x1 2014 Nissan Leaf EV
x1 24v 3kw BatteryEVO LifePO4 170Ah Battery Box w/ BMS
24v Midnite DIY Inverter

boB

The wind curve is definitely a learning curve !....

As well as a current OUT (to the battery) vs. a  voltage IN from the turbine.

Normally a low voltage turbine (12V nominal) would not put out too high of voltage for a controller with a maximum input rating of 150V.  So that is correct.

But, how do you know what it WILL put out, UNLOADED when the wind speed is very high ?   It depends on the winding of the turbine as well as the blades.

Also, maybe this turbine was wound with MPPT in mind, in which case, it could very well output very high voltages when running unloaded.

What I would normally say is  to   measure the turbine's output voltage during wind conditions but sometimes you can not do that because it would need to be connected to something with a capacitor and maybe the turbine is AC and also needs  a rectifier.   But we don't know the characteristics of this particular turbine or how it is put up.  How high it is, etc....

Having said that, have you measured the output voltage of that turbine when the wind was blowing ?   Is it outputting a DC voltage that is higher than the battery voltage but several volts ?

Making the actual wind curve adjustments will be a guessing game for a while.  That is unless you have a real wind tunnel to adjust it with which I don't think either of us have.  We are all in that boat, unfortunately.

Would love to have a wind "learning curve" that adjusts itself over time, which actually has been done before.  Not by use though.  Otherwise that feature would be in the software.  Maybe some day, I hope.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me