Arduino for networking and remote display on the Kid?

Started by Brlux, April 05, 2014, 02:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brlux

I know there has been some discussion about using an off the shelf Ethernet enabled single board computer such as the Raspberry Pi to connect to the serial port of the Kid and provide network communication for data logging.

My suggestion would be to do it with an Arduino Yun. It does cost about $20 more than a Raspberry Pi but has Ethernet and Wifi on board. Power consumption would be a bit less with the Yun being about 1.5W and Pi being about 2.5W. The Yun would be easy to add an LCD display to for another remote meter. It would also be easy to use as an IO expansion for adding additional switched output signals when events are reached.

Now admittedly I am not a programer so perhaps I don't fully comprehend the scope of differences between implementation on two different platforms. But I do know that once someone has an working and documented Arduino project it is very easy for someone with little to no programing experience to come along and tweak it to suit their needs.

Any thoughts or experienced Arduino programers that could shed more light on this idea?

zoneblue

The Yun has an ARM chip on it as well as atmega. Theres lots of board options now, take your pick. 
Intel make NUC type boxes that draw <8W, which would be good for folk that want to combine the purposes of the monitoring with something like NAS. Cubiebaord and other ARM boards draw less then 1.25W, have SATA, ethernet, micro sd etc.

Of course now there are a choice of smart phone apps, which relieves the monitoring pressure somewhat. Still for those that are interested in 24/7 detailed data, the "blackbox" route is the best solution.

At some stage the kid will get firmware that supports some kind of serial data.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar