Lets name Midnite's upcoming Inverters

Started by DMJ72, April 15, 2014, 08:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMJ72

We know ONE DAY, midnite will release an Inverter. Lets have some fun and come up with names for it (them).

I will start...

Large Inverter : Midnite Ra (Ancient Egyptian God of the Sun)
Small Inverter : Midnite Sol (Danish for Sun)
(System 1) To be updated ...  @ Jamaica, West Indies.
(System 2-mom's) 6 Wuxi My-Solar 200w Mono panels, Conext SW Inverter, Classic 150, 8 Trojan T-105RE batteries, Trimetric.

RossW

Quote from: DMJ72 on April 15, 2014, 08:30:19 PM
We know ONE DAY, midnite will release an Inverter. Lets have some fun and come up with names for it (them).

I will start...

Surely these are more names for the charge controllers. The inverter would be the boss of the NIGHT, lord of the DARK etc?
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

Kent0

QuoteSurely these are more names for the charge controllers. The inverter would be the boss of the NIGHT, lord of the DARK etc?

That depends on what the inverter is designed to do. For a battery based inverter, I agree. How about MoonBeam X000, where x is the number of kVA or kW. Think MoonBeam isn't lordly enough? How about Quasar?

Westbranch

How about the Andromeda Series, since we 'believe' there will be more than one size, 'scalable?'
and the first one to be the Dark Energy... then Dark Matter... then Dark Knight
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

DMJ72

Quote from: RossW on April 17, 2014, 07:12:28 AM
Quote from: DMJ72 on April 15, 2014, 08:30:19 PM

I will start...

Surely these are more names for the charge controllers. The inverter would be the boss of the NIGHT, lord of the DARK etc?

I think you have got a point there!
(System 1) To be updated ...  @ Jamaica, West Indies.
(System 2-mom's) 6 Wuxi My-Solar 200w Mono panels, Conext SW Inverter, Classic 150, 8 Trojan T-105RE batteries, Trimetric.

dgd

Quote from: RossW on April 17, 2014, 07:12:28 AM

Night and Dark?  The Flapper series of inverters, keeping in Midnite theme.
But isn't this naming somewhat optimistic for something that is likely available about Q3 2017  :o  (is that optimistic too) :)
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

laszlo

How about  the "Midnite DemiAmp"? And with logo of  Zeus throwing a lightning bolt.

4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

niel

name them after galaxies, constellations and stars and maybe even planets. this is suitable for it is the midnite sky.

Robin

We have actually been working on inverters on and off for about 5 years. We obviously haven't gotten very serious about the project though since we are a ways off still.
We have had names for some of them though and are actively working on them. Numerous versions are being worked on.
The battery based inverter market is pretty full of good inverters already. The micro inverter market is a blood bath in lowest cost for Chinese manufactured products. (We will not build products in China)!
The world does need a small grid tie wind inverter with built in Clipper. (Goes with our Army turbine very nicely) The wind inverter will be the first inverter released. We get to put time on our topology and will prove out the reliability on this new novel approach on a relatively small market. What that really means is when we screw up and have to make corrections, it doesn't affect a ton of people. Not impossible, just time consuming. The wind inverter is also the least complicated and therefore quicker to get done. We made the decision this week to put another full time engineer on the inverter project within two months. That will help.
There are a few great battery based inverters already on the market. SMA, Schneider, Magnum and OutBack. There are a few companies that have attempted to break into this Club of heavy weights during the last few years without success. They did not do their homework. There are more companies trying to enter this market soon. It is tough to do because the market is relatively small as compared to grid tie. Battery based inverters are much more complicated than a grid tie also and if you aren't really familiar with the industry needs, you will just spend a ton of time and money that will never be recouped. We do have a fair amount of people on staff that are very familiar with the strong and weak points of all battery based inverters available.
That said, we do have a name for our battery based inverter project. We have been calling it the EGO inverter. Our very large EGO's tell us we can do it better!
Don't hold your breath for it anytime soon though. Inverters are just a few of the engineering projects on the project list.
Robin Gudgel

crunnells

Thanks for the update Robin. I bought a "cheap" Chinese inverter to get our system off the ground a couple of years ago, but Phase 2 of our home PV system will include a new PSW inverter, which I was hoping would be a Midnite inverter... Since it seems like it'll be a few of years off before you have a battery-based one, I think we'll probably end up with a Magnum instead. On a Midnite ePanel of course :)

elektro

Nite Stalker sounds cool, put a motion sensor on it that activates a voice or sound.
MS4448PAE
MidNite solar Classic 200
MidNite PV6 Combiner box
MidNite 240 E panel
16 ET Solar 250w panels
16 L-16 Deka 6 volt 370ah Batteries

kd5inm

Don't call it "Nova" because that means "no va"= "doesn't run" in spanish.... Chevrolet had a hard time selling them in mexico.

ZoNiE

"Ori"

"Hallowed are the Ori". The central icon of this religion is fire, something that gives off light and warmth.

Reference Stargate SG1...

...Sorry, new guy here couldn't resist.
Daily Driver: 2013 Toyota Rav4EV with Tesla Guts...
Solar Project:
1996 Safari Sahara Class A Motorhome with:
4X Hanhwa 280W panels
1X Midnight Classic-150
4X  Dying WallyWorld Energizer GC2's bought by the PO
1X 2,000W Heart Interface Freedom 20 Inverter/Charger
1X Onan Emerald 6300LP RV Genset

niel

kd5inm,
that could also be interpreted as no volt amps and also meaning dead.

mike90045

Grunt & Grunt Jr.

Sort of the sound the "core" makes when a heavy load hits the inverter I have now.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV