Classic / Clipper operation

Started by Windyneighbor, April 28, 2014, 06:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windyneighbor

Classic question. Why does the Classic 250 connected to a Clipper for wind charging not slow the turbine down right away when the Classic is in float mode with zero battery charging amps ?  ( this happens on sunny windy days ) The turbine slows eventually, but sometimes can take quite a while.  Besides the battery being full, it seems like it is related to the absorption time limit.  Also, what is the criteria to trigger bulk charging after float mode ?   Thanks.

boB

I think what you are describing may be because the Classic has not gone into MPPT (bulk or absorb) charging mode so it hasn't been able to grab a reference voltage.

That clipping voltage is stored as it goes from mppt to absorb/float or eq and the headroom voltage number is added to that stored voltage that took to go into absorb or float etc.   i.e. from mppt (current) to constant voltage mode.

When going from a higher voltage mode to a lower voltage mode (absorb to float), it will (IIRC) remember the last clipping voltage.   BUT, as soon as the wind dies down for a few moments and the Classic drops back into MPPT again and back up to the voltage regulation mode, it should find a newer and lower clip voltage.

This all assumes that the Classic's aux is set for clipper mode and not something like PV on high which is a constant input clipping voltage reference.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Windyneighbor

Thanks boB.  Occasionally, I also see the Classic display 'resting' when the wind is really blowing and the Classic is bulk charging.  When this happens, the Classic lets the turbine open circuit and the input voltage sometimes approaches 300 vac.  The turbine gets extremely noisy and when the Classic comes out of 'resting', it is unable to stop the turbine until it furls and the blades slow down. What would be the cause for this ?

boB

WN, maybe when this high voltage and resting while high winds happens again, you could
possibly take a short video of the Classic's LCD status screen ?

I think that would be most informative regarding this behavior.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me