Wind and/or solar power add ons.

Started by zarathust, May 09, 2014, 09:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarathust

I have an off grid system, 48 volt battery bank, dual 6kw schneiders currently charged by a generator that I'm looking to add wind(preferable)/ and or solar to. I have a lot of steady wind and sun available on my property and would love to take advantage of it. Any info and knowledge that would be of benefit to me would be appreciated. Relatively new to the world of self power generating. Economical options and even DIY if its effective and efficient to build. I have time and tools to get some stuff done. Thanks, Brian

Halfcrazy

My advice is add solar. You are in a perfect scenario. Calculate how many KWHs a day you must produce with the generator and try to add say 125% or more than that in solar. Panels are as cheap as they will ever be I think so now is a perfect time. Let us know how many KWHs a day you have to make with the generator and we can help sizr the array and charge controllers
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

zarathust

My system probably would need about 15 kWh per day, give or take. I don't wanna rule out wind power supplement due to the access to lots of wind here day and night. Anyway any info would help in planning out what I need to get this system where it should be.

dgd

What is the capacity of the 48v battery bank?
I'd agree with Ryan that solar should be the first way to go and if it were me I would be getting about 5 to 6 Kw worth of PVs and a couple of Classic 150s (combiner boxes,breakers,etc for 3Kw into each Classic).
dgd

Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

zoneblue

Listen to half crazy ryan, he knows a lot about wind.

Wind only works if:
- you are in a high wind zone, and have a proper tower
- you have the budget for top quality gear
- you have  the stomach for the required maintenance.
- your solar insolation is truly awful.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

zarathust

Battery bank capacity is about 32,000 watts. It rated for no more than 50% discharge rate. I understand that wind equipment can be a pain to maintain. Just thought it might be good to take advantage of the wind i have especially at night. Its a pretty windy area here.