issues since FW update to 1849

Started by ultraschall81, May 21, 2014, 02:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultraschall81

Hi,

on Monday the network interface of my classic lite 150 failed and I had to do a reboot in the evening. I used this to update the FW. Afterwards I did a VMM and set the correct values with the local app.
At the next morning, the status of the classic was (as normal) 'Bulk' but there were no amps flowing through the CC. PV voltage was equal Voc.
I was not able to connect the classic from remote (miss config of my router) with the local app, but I have a raspi in my network and got the data with a python script.
In the afternoon I locally connected and had to switch the mppt mode "off" and "on". I could here the click of the relay and the controller started to charge the battery. So, I thought everything is fine now.
But today in the morning the same situation. There was enough solar power, the CC is in Bulk mode but not charging.
I tried to change from Solar mode to legacy P&O -> no change. When I switched off and on, the CC started charging.

Does anyone has/had the same problem? What can I do?

Thanks for your help and greetings from Germany

Christian

dgd

Christian,

Check in the local app tech settings that days between BULK is set to zero

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

ultraschall81

Hi,

Yes, it's set to 0.

Br

Christian

boB

This is interesting that when you turn the mode OFF and then ON, that it starts to charge properly.

What if you let it sit for a couple of minutes ?  Will it go to Resting and then wake up again if
you just let it do its own thing for that short time ?  OR, do you absolutely have to turn the mode
to off and on again  to get the PV voltage to come down ?

What part of Germany are you in ?  I was lucky enough to go to München last year for Solar International.
What a great place !
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ultraschall81

Hi Bob,

Quote from: boB on May 21, 2014, 05:01:17 PM

This is interesting that when you turn the mode OFF and then ON, that it starts to charge properly.
Yes, afterwards it is charging properly.

Quote from: boB on May 21, 2014, 05:01:17 PM
What if you let it sit for a couple of minutes ?  Will it go to Resting and then wake up again if
you just let it do its own thing for that short time ?  OR, do you absolutely have to turn the mode
to off and on again  to get the PV voltage to come down ?
The first day, I was not able to change anything remotely (had to work), so the Classic had time from sunrise till 4 pm. Should be enough  ;)

Today the same scenario. (first screenshot) So I tried a "Force to Absorb" then a "Force to Float" then I set the mppt mode from legacy P&O to Solar. Classic went to Resting (104). (second screenshot) Afterwards I set solar "off" (third one) and "on". Classic starts charging (in float, because I forced it. After the force absorb, it is charging in bulk mode.)(4. screenshot)

See the attached screenshots.

I live in the outskirts of Munich but (unfortunately) have never visit the Inter solar :-)
Are you in Munich this year? The inter solar is from 3rd till 6th of june.

Br

Christian

boB

Not going to Munich this year, unfortunately.  Maybe next year.  I LOVED my 8 days there !

Thanks for the  pictures.  I kind of see what you're talking about now.

So, what is the software revision of your Classic ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ultraschall81

Hi,

It's 1849, the newest One. Should i do a vmm again?
Do You Need More data?

Br

boB

Quote from: ultraschall81 on May 22, 2014, 03:02:45 PM
Hi,

It's 1849, the newest One. Should i do a vmm again?
Do You Need More data?

Br

1849 is fine for the Classic.

Did you update the MNGP/Remote, also ?

It's date is 4-14-2014  whereas the Classic (1849) is  4-21-2014 (I think)

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ultraschall81

I have a classic lite 150, so no MNGP.
Yesterday evening (even it was already dark) the classic still had the Float Mppt status. In the Morning it was changed to bulk and again no charging. But I could hear the "singing of the coils".

Bob, If you need access to my classic via Modbus, this is possible.

boB

Quote from: ultraschall81 on May 23, 2014, 01:05:22 AM
I have a classic lite 150, so no MNGP.
Yesterday evening (even it was already dark) the classic still had the Float Mppt status. In the Morning it was changed to bulk and again no charging. But I could hear the "singing of the coils".

Bob, If you need access to my classic via Modbus, this is possible.

This could work if your router is set to port forward port 502 to your Classic's IP address in your LAN
so it can be accessed by a Local App status panel external to your network.

All I really need though is the number from the Local App that is next to the "Resting" status message
on the front of the status panel.  I think it might be "36"  but need to verify this.

If so, it's fairly easy to fix that.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ultraschall81

I will try to find it out today in the evening.
As I wrote, yesterday evening, the classic didn't went to resting. It stood at Float Mppt.

Let you know.

ultraschall81

Hi Bob,

today I had time to Play around. Sorry for the bad english, but it is not easy to describe for me.

I did a VMM again.
My Observation is:
The classic is not going to resting automatically. When I Switched the breakers  between the PV and the cc off, I have seen a resting (15 - low light and xxx - PV voltage lower then battery voltage)
But only once or twice after VMM.
After this, when I switch the breakers off, it stood in the state it was before (Bulk Mppt or Float Mppt) I measured the voltage between the Classic and the PV Panels. It was still 26,xV (although breakers were off) Reverse Voltage???
As soon as I switched the  Mppt mode to "off", I heared a click and the voltage got low. I switched on the Mppt mode -> Status was still 16 "Mppt mode off".
After switching on the breakers, it clicks again, the classic start charging.
Switching the breakers off -> Status still Bulk Mppt.

Once I have also seen a Resting (104- Unknown)

What can I do to get the classic back to normal Operation? Do I Need to Flash the FW again?

Br
Christian

ultraschall81

Today in the morning the same situation.
I had a look at 6:15 (enough light). The Classic was in Bulk Mppt mode, no current flow, PV voltage at Voc.
After a switch off and on, the classic started to charge with around 70w.
I believe the following happened:
When the sun rises, the PV voltage rises over the start voltage (33V???) and the classic wanted to begin charging. As soon as current flows, the PV voltage broke down and the classic was hanging again. The same I have observed yesterday evening.

So, What to do? Firmware upgrade again?

Christian

boB

If the Classic is sitting there putting out less than 20 watts and the battery voltage is below the set-point,
(battery temperature compensated), the Classic should go to Resting in about 90 seconds all by itself.

The Classic may wake up again though and do that again for a while if the input voltage is greater than the
battery voltage by some minimum amount.

One reason that the Classic will NOT go to Resting with less than 20 watts of output is if the
INSOMNIA  tweak is ON.

The reason for resting number will stay there until the Classic goes to resting again the next time.

Have you tried the Legacy P&O MPPT mode with solar yet ?  Does it work any different ?

I would not re-flash the code quite  just yet.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

zoneblue

I think we really need to rule out any possible system issues. Are you 100% sure that everything is wired up correctly? Checked Voc, Isc at the disconnect/classic terminals?. That Vmp > Vbat+12?  Its a bit crude, but to be 100% sure, you could try briefly attaching the pv to the battery directly and measure the current with a clamp meter. (careful with the arc!)  If that all flows good, then recheck the classic and breaker connections for torque, stray strands, continuity, polarity etc etc.

Failing that, somethings whacky and might need service.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar