63A Breaker is Tripping Under Low Load

Started by Alaska Man, May 30, 2014, 06:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaska Man

Over the weekend I changed outthe 6ga to 4ga and installed the 80 amp breaker. It was full sun, no clouds. I tweaked the panel tilt and cleaned them so they are getting max direct sunshine. The wire under the controller got warm, not hot, but a bit warmer. The highest reading I saw was 759W and around 63 Amps. The wire after the breaker was also warm. Do you still think it worth my while to upsize that from 4ga? The run is around 5'.
(2) 2 panel 230W (920W Array), Classic 150 with Xentrex Freedom Series Charger/Inverter. 12V 880AH/6V AGM Bank wired in series and parallel. Adding another 1,000W of Panels soon, I hope.

zoneblue

As discussed at length above you want as little voltage drop as you can between the bank and the controller.

People like to do their own thing, but in the end i found i was much better off sticking with established conventions. Its becasue they work.

Try to study the epanel manuals, they have some great advice and best practice in them.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Alaska Man

(2) 2 panel 230W (920W Array), Classic 150 with Xentrex Freedom Series Charger/Inverter. 12V 880AH/6V AGM Bank wired in series and parallel. Adding another 1,000W of Panels soon, I hope.