MNSICOMM and Lite

Started by eraeco, October 04, 2015, 06:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eraeco

Hi, I just got the MNSICOMM adapter, so I can connect it to the SI 6.0H and the Classic Lite I have so far running without any communication established between it.
Reading the manual of the MNSICOMM I saw that the Classic must be set in SMA mode (MISC-->COMM-->MORE); as I have a Lite I don't have the option to use the display for entering in that menu and can't find the corresponding one on the Local Status Panel.
So, is it necessary to put the Classic Lite into that SMA mode and if so, how can I do it?

BobWhite

Hi eraeco
you should be able to access everything threw the local app that you can with the MNGP on the classic.

Walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
4-Classic 3-150 and 1-200
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5wiz bang Jrs, , 2- Samlex-24Volt
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198
10 Solar world 345 XL Mono

eraeco

Hi Walt, that's great, but where can I find this menu? I don't see any SMA option in the Local Status Panel.

Best regards.

Matt

Edit: firmware and Local App are updated to the latest versions

BobWhite

Matt, were in the manual ( manual: http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/10-269-1_Rev_A_Communication_Adapter_Manual_preliminary.pdf ) does it say to put in SMA mode? Just so I get on the same page :)

walt

I believe you just need the Classic set to MODBUS addresses #10,
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198

eraeco

Page 6: On EACH classic, go to MAIN MENU->MISC->COMM->MORE and select the SMA option. Save it and
REBOOT the Classic.

BobWhite

ahh, I didn't see that, I'll look into my lite and see what I come up with. :-\
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198

BobWhite

Quote from: eraeco on October 04, 2015, 10:31:18 AM
Page 6: On EACH classic, go to MAIN MENU->MISC->COMM->MORE and select the SMA option. Save it and
REBOOT the Classic.

I just looked into both the MNGP on classics  and into the lite threw the local app, I don't see SMA setting on the Local app but still looking, it is on the MNGP of the classics. Ill also look into the lite manual, maybe threw jumpers---just a thought.
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198

eraeco

Thank you a lot Walt. For the moment I just connected the MNSICOMM without activating the SMA option (of course, as I have no clue where to find it) and it seems to work perfectly. I first waited for the Lite getting into float, then after connecting the MNSICOMM and restarting the Classic, it went directly into float mode (as the SI told it to) and didn't start a new bulk cycle. Also I have the Lite now on the remote display of the SI, which is very nice.

Further I see, that all the battery information still comes from the WhizBang and is not synchronized with the SI battery monitor; that's just how I like it as it's always better to get two opinions than just one.

BobWhite

congrates!! I like it when it all comes together! Enjoy, have fun and be safe.

Walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198

eraeco

I think I was too quick with saying it's running perfectly. I changed float voltage on the SI to check the reaction of the Lite, but it didn't go to the new higher set voltage (I changed it from 54 V to 57,6 V just to check); it went up to 55,9 V when the SI wanted to have 56,9 V (temperature compensated 57,6 V), but it wasn't due to lack of power (didn't work in MPPT mode).
So seems like the SMA option is important for some reason, just need to kno where I can find it on the Local App.

BobWhite

sorry Matt, I cant find anything other than setting the lite to custom and programing with the MNGP of another controller.
Walt

It might be best contact teck support to get the answer.
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198

eraeco

Thanks Walt, I'll get in touch with Ryan.

Cheers!

eraeco

So, today I got my MNGP, so I was able to activate the SMA option. I was surprised when I saw the same behaviour as before without SMA mode (after working for some minutes fine, there were slight differences between the set voltage of the SI and the charging voltage of the Classic). I found out that these differences came from the BTS, so I disconnected the BTS and the Classic now charges perfectly with the set voltage of the SI.
Just for curiosity I deactivated the SMA option again and seems like there is no difference. The only difference I could see is that in the display (MNGP) additionally the letters "SMA" appear. So, actually I'm not sure if it really is necessary to set the Classic in "SMA mode" for the MNSICOMM working alright.

Very important is:
- disconnect BTS
- set the offset voltage for the Classic, so that both devices show the same voltage (I had to configure the offset to -0,4 V compared to the SI reading)

I don't want to push anybody to do the setup without SMA mode, I just wanted to state that the problems seem to have come from the BTS which led to a compensation on the set voltage (while the SI already sends the temperature compensated set voltages to the Classic).

Cheers.