outback fx2524t

Started by bisland9, September 10, 2014, 01:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bisland9

hi,
     i just purchased an outback fx2524t inverter along with a mate remote display.  i was planning on purchasing a kid but the solar supplier recommended the outback mppt controller citing better comunications and easier diagnostics.  is this true?  i have heard good things about the kid but am i better off to spend the extra $ and get the outback?

thanks in advance,

bernie

ClassicCrazy

Midnite controllers are better in many ways - but depending on how much power you are going to be making you may want to consider the Classic controller which is more comparable capacity wise
with the Outback controllers.

What you get with the Midnite Kid or Classic is the ability to see true system amps - exactly what is going in and out of the battery. This is when you use the Whizbang along with a shunt.

With the Classic though it costs more you have much more capacity to make your system larger by adding more panels but you also can monitor online with Mymidnite , or on computer or mobile phone using Local Status App.

The Kid has no remote monitoring or history but does tell you everything you would want to know via the display.

Really all depends on what your system is .

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

vtmaps

Not a fair comparison.  The Outbacks and the Midnite Classics are not in the same league (power handling) as the Kid.   If you only need a 30 amp controller, get a Kid.  If you need more than 30 amps... two Kids or one Classic. 

--vtMaps

bisland9

i have 500 watts on the roof (sharp panels)...... i was running a prosine 2000 but it crapped out and i have a morningstar prostar 30m......i am changing to a 24 volt system and figured i would upgrade to a mppt.

sounds like i should stay with my original choice......the kid

thank you for you inputs........

ClassicCrazy

If you do 24 volt system you will have 20 amps or less output to the batteries so the Kid should work fine. If your old system was 12v you will need to put your panels in series to up the voltage so the mppt will work.  I believe there is a string calculator on Midnite site somewhere so you can figure out the best and correct panel configuration.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

zoneblue

To answer the bit about communications, id say this depends.

There is little to gain from communication between the controller and the inverter with a couple of exceptions. If you want to track true charging amps, in the outback world you do this with teh Flexnet DC. This is kind of equivalent to WBJr, with updsides and downs. Flexnet can maybe do more, like monitering multiple shunts. But the price, by the time you add up the mate, flexnet, and hub which you now need becasue you exceed 2 devices, the cost is really starting to crank up. Classic or kid plus shunt is quite a bit cheaper, and then you get a better controller with it.

Whether theres anything to be gained by sharing charge state info, (if you use the inverters charger), that depends, on how you use them. In general getting the setpoints pretty close is a good enough solution, yes, one will tend to dominate through absorb, but then most people, if they are on to it, only bulk with a genset.

So my 2c, go midnite. But then this is a midnite forum. Ask the same question on the outback forum see what they say!
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

bisland9

thanks everyone,

i ordered the kid

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: bisland9 on September 11, 2014, 08:10:38 AM
thanks everyone,

i ordered the kid

I haven't kept track of what exactly comes with the Kid but if your batteries are in a cool or cold place you will also want the remote temperature sensor. And if you want to know exactly what your system is doing you will want to make sure you get a Whizbang Jr and the shunt that it needs to read from. 

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable