MNSPD300 AC&DC Instalation help please!

Started by unicornio, October 03, 2014, 05:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unicornio

hi, there!

I finally go to install my SPD protections.

I had already thing to do in the two distribution boxes where I have space to put them comfortably. I want to protect 4 long cable runs that measuring over 200m and go to two buildings, as well as the two runs from the two arrays that are in the solar tracker, and I think the best place is right when they enter in the container, so close to the ground rod.

this is a 220 VAC plant, with two PV arrays with a 100 VDC VOC, and with floating neutral, not connected to earth. too, I have installed the outback GFP at the input of the charge controllers...

attached an embarrassingly childish drawing Connection with Scheme...;-)
I wonder if any one of you guys think the situation are good and the wiring are correct? ...

many thanks to all!
regards!

la energia solar no es una energia alternativa: es la energia.   Taller Ecologico "Los Unicornios" - - monitor solar on-line

unicornio

I have already installed the 4 MNSPD300.
and (I so lucky) today we had a good lightning storm. so I have endured it much calmer! ...:-)

I have had very good impression of the quality and care with which they are built. It is the first product of midnite solar that I have in my hands, and really is amazing the ability of these guys do it right! ...

however, I trust it before, because I know very well the extreme quality of outback products design, where these virtuosos also were involved. it is clear that everything they do, they do it well! ...

unfortunately, the units sent to me must be old, because all are marked as serving for AC and DC.
because of this, I suffer from the syndrome "only one of the LEDs light" in which are installed at the entrance of the cables coming from the PV arrays, probably due to the negative to ground bond ...

I warn they of this, at the place where I buy the 4 MNSPD, but it has not been for nothing, and I do not know if midnite can do something (to resolve) about this issue ...

I understand that is true the fact that the LED that has no light does not mean any lack of protection, but it is also true that if the led light communicates something,(ie, the god state of work of the SPD's) is this case, that's a function that I will not be able to enjoy it.

hope i can resolve it...

regards

la energia solar no es una energia alternativa: es la energia.   Taller Ecologico "Los Unicornios" - - monitor solar on-line

vtmaps

Quote from: unicornio on October 11, 2014, 04:34:24 PM
unfortunately, the units sent to me must be old, because all are marked as serving for AC and DC.
because of this, I suffer from the syndrome "only one of the LEDs light" in which are installed at the entrance of the cables coming from the PV arrays, probably due to the negative to ground bond ...

I think that's normal.  The light won't come on between PV negative and ground because there is no potential between negative and ground to power the light.

--vtMaps

boB

Unicornio !  Long time no see (or hear) !

Yes, I think that VTMAPS is correct on the one.  Your wiring from earlier looks fine I think.

If you were lucky enough to watch the LEDs while the lightning was striking, you just might see
both of them light up !

All of the SPDs are all good for AC or DC by the way so that does not mean anything bad.

Glad you like them !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

niel

boB,
that sounds like a great idea putting in an indication to show a discharge in progress.

unicornio

Quote from: boB on October 12, 2014, 02:26:23 AM
Unicornio !  Long time no see (or hear) !

hi, boB!...glad to speak with you again!...;-)
many thanks for your words...

I read somemessages from you and Robin, in this forum and in others ... and I remain very aware of how things are going in midnite: very well!... some days ago I found Robin twitter account, but he does not use it ... he must be tweeting in 3.5 or 14 MHz? ...;-)))

I read the forum, but I have not had much to say, so far...
and when you have not something important to say, do not interrupt the silence! ... :-)
It is a saying of radio amateurs here in Spain ...:-)

Yes, I think that VTMAPS is correct on the one.  Your wiring from earlier looks fine I think.

yeah!...me too...I always agree with all vtmaps says!..:-)

If you were lucky enough to watch the LEDs while the lightning was striking, you just might see
both of them light up !

LOL!...I hope to be far away when the LEDs are turned on by a surge or flash lightning! ... so maybe I can put a webcam to see it! ... :-)
I have worked with microwave radio links for many years, in the mountains, and have seen lighting some leds due a flash strike that should not are for indicate that ... it make me afraid! ...;-)

All of the SPDs are all good for AC or DC by the way so that does not mean anything bad.
Glad you like them !

I'm very happy, and above all, so relaxed, since I installed the MNSPD300 ... so they have given me peace of mind, something very hard to find these days ...:-)

I have to buy two more MNSPD300, but surely i will buy it at NAWS, which are perhaps the only ones who know the difference between AC and DC, for some others maybe AC/DC is just a heavy metal band! ... ;-)

by installing two more, I'll have protected all points of my "farm", so if i buy two DC MNSPD300, i can put the two that i have in the arrays working with AC,and the news in the arrays, that can work with the two leds lighting...:-)

by the way, I have make some testing with SPD's and my electric fencing unit, as in youtube video that you have on the forum ...:-)
very intesting!...

many thanks for your help, both vtmaps and you...

health, mates!...