Battery Boxes certified to Seismic Zone 4 ?

Started by ericwahl, May 20, 2011, 02:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericwahl

Didn't see anything in the brochure.
Thanks.

Halfcrazy

Our battery boxes do not carry any Seismic rating.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

mike90045

Do batteries carry a Seismic Rating,  ie.  2 stroke V6 outboard missing on 1 cylinder and 1' 11" head waves ?  Are batteries rated for that ??
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

ericwahl

Quote from: mike90045 on May 20, 2011, 06:50:45 PM
Do batteries carry a Seismic Rating,  ie.  2 stroke V6 outboard missing on 1 cylinder and 1' 11" head waves ?  Are batteries rated for that ??
No they're not, that's why a rated rack is required I suppose.

niel

just my 2 cents.

in my opinion, no flooded lead acid battery would likely be approved by anybody to use in earthquakes (who would be in charge of such approvals anyhow?) as no fla is able to hold the electrolyte in any position other than upright so the splashing of the electrolyte could force its way out during a quake. agm type batteries would be good to use as they are made to operate in any position.

as to a battery box this is a box that the prerequisites would be it's made of strong metal, be of 1 level as being top heavy would help tip it over, and have a wide footprint to the floor to also help prevent tipping it over. even using agm batteries would not prevent the wires from possibly shorting out when the batteries get knocked around.

in any case i know of nobody that rates anything for earthquakes, but making or modifying battery boxes to meet those parameters would probably do very well for earthquake prone areas. me, i'd be more worried debris would come down on the batteries and destroy them, but then the rest of the system and the loads for it would be taken out too, so what would be the point there? ::)

Robin

Our battery boxes are ETL listed for safety, but not for earthquakes. Very few installations require this, but if yours does, bend over. It will cost plenty. There is just not a lot of call for this. The box would certainly need to be welded construction made from heavy gauge steel. You will probably not find a listed enclosure that has the seismic rating. That would be a very rare product.
Sorry
Robin Gudgel

ericwahl

My customer found an outback PSR on ebay! With that kind of luck he hardly needs to worry about an earthquake!