Classic build 1923 from 1-18-2014 Beta

Started by boB, January 03, 2015, 06:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

Hi boB,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

1.  On the LEDs,  guess that because when doing the MNGP VMM,  I had felt that the Jumper Reset would essentially be instantaneous,  simply did not even wait five seconds.   And waiting for the LEDs to stop blinking is a good indicator that the process must be done.

2.  After updating to 1923,   I believe that the LEDs on the Classic board did NOT blink,  but am not absolutely sure.  Also believe that there was never any data sent,  it just hung.   I did not note the Hang address ...  was not in the Engineer mode,  just knew that whatever was wrong was my doing -- each of the two Classics had exactly the same issue,  and same exact behavior.

3.  Have always updated the Classics first and then the MNGPs.  There was no indication (to me)  that the MNGPs had not been updated,  other than,  perhaps that the Updater terminated only a short time after updating was complete.  It seems to take about three minutes after updating the Classics for all of the process windows to automatically close,  and having the UD GUI again fully visible.

4.  In the future,  will look for the Classic board LEDs blinking on power up.
Honestly,  I do not update the Classics very frequently.  I do not want to be on the leading edge,  and unless there is something that is really needed in a rev (like WBjr functionality)  will usually wait to update.  There is a reasonable amount of risk in changing a battery charging system that is known,  and has been working fairly well over a period of time -- forgetting to set something that is newly added,  or something that has been there at remote sites with larger/expensive batteries is a significant concern [This is what happened when the Charge Voltage Limits were added -- did not know that they were there,  had been having a long warm spell in Winter,  then it turned cold.  The large bank got fairly far behind on charge,  took too long to notice,  and it took 7 weeks to get the bank back up ...  was worried that I had ruined a $16 K battery.  This was due to the charge V limits being much too narrow for a FLA bank that is cool,  IMO].   Having the Classic retain all user settings during an update would be great,  as it might well take 15 minutes to re-enter each of the very important parameters,  but guess that this is too difficult,  as no one can know in advance just how much of that parameter memory will be needed after a few passing years.   Having the LA do this is probably the next best approach.

5.  Yes,  I did uninstall the 1923 before reverting to 1849 ...  I had found previous update files in Downloads on the laptop,  but was uncertain just how to point the Updater to any of those files.  THANKS for the Link to previous versions ...  had seen some reference to that on this Forum in the past,  but had too many things to do while at that site that had to be done   ...  not just updating the Classics.

There are a number of variables in updating Classics.  The ONLY issue that have ever had was in getting the Com Port 8 initially set.  The Update process has never been an issue --  have always updated the Classic 150 first,  and then the MNGP.  For whatever reason,  this time,  neither of the Classics behaved normally.  This is not a cheery feeling,  especially for a remote site,   and so on.

One of the main reasons that I wanted to update the Classics,  was that I had noticed that a Classic had initiated an EQ on its own -- have never done an Auto EQ.  This is worrying to me ...  sure would love to be able to set EQ V to Vfloat.  Have usually set EQ time to 00:00,  but,  still believe that the EQ might run until it exits EQ MPPT,  and then perhaps then quit.  Would love to be able to guarantee that EQ NEVER occurs unless there is manual intervention.

Thanks again!   Am one who was begging and begging for you guys to get the Classic out for us to use.  It is a great CC,  with many benefits to its users.  But,  am one of those who always wants more,  and more.     73,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Resthome

Vic

I'm glad I am not alone in seeing the Classic jump to EQ mode by itself. Started another thread on this a few weeks ago, but no real solution or what may be causing this random EQ Start. I don't like the way the EQ Start EQ Stop is configured to not require an Enter to get it to change states. Per boB it is just a flag that is set.  See other thread.

http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=2259.0
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Vic

Hi John,

Thanks for the Link ...  had read that just after you posted it. 

Have only seen this occur once,  and have not studied the Logs looking for it.  And am not yet using the LA or MyMidNite,   or any other data collection activity.

Think that we all agree that the Classic is a very capable CC,  by far the best available,  in my book.

Appreciate all of the work that you and the other active users of MN products,  and the MN Team for working so hard to make MidNite products by far the best.

I was a bit cranky about that recent Update.  Still do not know what I did wrong ..  the only fairly unusual thing was that the Classics were running the previous version of the MNGP FW,  not the one paired with the 1849,  when that was released.   There has been some earlier comments in not taking too large jumps in FW revs ...   but that might have been resolved by VMMing.

Anyway,  if we could set EQ time to 00:00,  AND be able to set Veq = Vfloat,  then seems that things would be quite benign ...   although one might miss some or all of an Absorb stage,  perhaps ...

Thanks again,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

boB

Vic, did you successfully get 1923 to load ?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hi boB,

I was happy to get back to 1849 ...  am very busy,  and will take another run at updating to the latest in  a month or two.

Believe that am now running the MNGP FW that was paired with 1849 ..  believe that previously was running 1849,  with the previous rev of the MNGP FW.

73 - Thanks!   Vic

phxmark

Hi All.

I have two Classics(one at my house and the other at my girlfriend's). On one at my house, I am unable to get the MNGP to update.  The one at my GF's went without a hitch on the MNGP and Classic firmware update.

I was able to update the Classic firmware on mine, but I am having troubles with the MNGP.  I have done the VMM, hardware jumper resets, etc.

When doing the update to the MNGP, the software acts like it is going to work, but then I get a failed message.  The MNGP and Classic boot like there is no MNGP firmware update going to happen.  When I did the update on the other Classic, the MNGP stayed blank until the update was done and the Classic was rebooted.

Right now everything still seems to work with the Classic updated and MNGP not updated, but I know there are some menu settings I may not have access to through the MNGP.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

Thanks.
Magnum MS-4448PAE
Midnite Solar Classic 200
6 SunPower E20 327W Panels.  3 Strings/2 Panels each
4 200ah AGM Batteries
WhizBang Jr.
Sun-500G Grid-Tie Inverter Controlled
by Aux 1 using a SSR
Emerson/ASCO 185 100 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch
http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1564.0

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: phxmark on February 19, 2015, 10:13:26 AM
Hi All.

I have two Classics(one at my house and the other at my girlfriend's). On one at my house, I am unable to get the MNGP to update.  The one at my GF's went without a hitch on the MNGP and Classic firmware update.

I was able to update the Classic firmware on mine, but I am having troubles with the MNGP.  I have done the VMM, hardware jumper resets, etc.

When doing the update to the MNGP, the software acts like it is going to work, but then I get a failed message.  The MNGP and Classic boot like there is no MNGP firmware update going to happen.  When I did the update on the other Classic, the MNGP stayed blank until the update was done and the Classic was rebooted.

Right now everything still seems to work with the Classic updated and MNGP not updated, but I know there are some menu settings I may not have access to through the MNGP.

Thanks.

Maybe try reloading previous firmware and then try the new one again.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Westbranch

Have you checked the MNGP connections, Loose? had a Loose one on my BTS that gave an error message of not connected , it was tight but not seated properly , gave it random intermittent on/off, no longer after pressing it in hard...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

Quote from: phxmark on February 19, 2015, 10:13:26 AM

Thanks.

I would suggest getting in touch with our support people so that we can swap your MNGP
or something to get you up to date. 

If you'd like to get the ball rolling this weekend, or at least be in line for Monday morning,
you might email  roy@ and raechel@  (midnitesolar.com)  with a link to this forum topic
and your phone number.

If I think of something else to try this weekend I'll post it here.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

phxmark

I'll check the connections tonight.  Also, where can I download the previous versions of firmware for the Classic and MNGP?  They don't appear in the Software section.

Thanks,
Mark

Magnum MS-4448PAE
Midnite Solar Classic 200
6 SunPower E20 327W Panels.  3 Strings/2 Panels each
4 200ah AGM Batteries
WhizBang Jr.
Sun-500G Grid-Tie Inverter Controlled
by Aux 1 using a SSR
Emerson/ASCO 185 100 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch
http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1564.0

Vic

Quote from: boB on January 17, 2015, 12:53:59 AM...   
BTW, there are a bunch of older firmware  revisions always at this site...

http://fusion.midnitesolar.com/

It is not absolutely necessary but I suggest going into the C:/midnitesolar  directory and running uninstall before
running the new  MidnitesolarUpdate  .exe  file.

Take your pick !
boB

FWIW,   Vic

mofawayesu

FWIW, I just updated to 1923 today and the MGNP froze at the first register as has been noted in this thread.  A hardware jumper reset (on a standard Classic 150) was the only way past it.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: mofawayesu on March 12, 2015, 04:20:57 PM
FWIW, I just updated to 1923 today and the MGNP froze at the first register as has been noted in this thread.  A hardware jumper reset (on a standard Classic 150) was the only way past it.

Now if you do the network update in the other post you will be able to try out the new MyMidnite page with all the new monitoring features. That one went in simply with no lockups or change any settings.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable