REV 1933 1-8-2015 Firmware update not working

Started by ClassicCrazy, January 10, 2015, 12:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicCrazy

I can't get newest firware update to work. I first tried the 12-18-14 firmware that Bob had posted in the Beta firmware section.  I can not get the MNGP to VMM . I can see Classic on Local Status App and it shows  Classic Rev 1923  network rev  1849

I tried updating firmware about 4 or 5 times now using both the beta firmware and the newest one posted on Midnite page.  It is cold out in the shed - was -10 F when I started this update stuff this morning.

Anyway Classic does not seem to be  charging , VMM won't update MNGP , stuck on a sending Data screen . See the Beta firmware update page for more info.

I am going to look for old old version of firmware and try to go back to it to see if that works. Hope I have a copy of it on my computer.

Has anyone else successfully updated to this newest firmware ?  I am have less than zero luck .

Larry 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

Finally !  Got it working 1933 MNGP 1/8/2015 1923 Classic 12/18/14  1839 Network

I had reloaded 1849 but had same no MNGP stuck screen. Finally noticed the How to reboot with jumpers info on Firmware update page and tried that and MNGP finally got unstuck and loaded. I then installed the newest Rev 1933 updates and had to do the jumper reboots again - for some reason the VMM left and right arrow buttons won't work for me now.

So a few hours after I started  - alls well that ends well . If I wasn't doing all that running back and forth to the shed  I probably would have just been sitting around by the woodstove being unproductive. 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Do you mean that you used the two jumpers on the Classic (behind the terminal block) to do the VMM
on the Classic itself ?  That will work but won't unlock the MNGP from sticking in the data sent screen
and get out of VMM mode.

Did you get the MNGP to update or did you have to use the special MNGP key press to defeat the VMM mode ?
i.e. when the logo appears after power up, hold the right arrow and soft-right key.

Or is it the MENU key and the soft-right key ?   One of those two, I can't remember off hand.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

We have seen this a few times now:

Update firmware
Do a VMM with MNGP
MNGP sticks sending data (Basically no communication with Classic)
Do a hardware VMM and all is well then the MNGP will finish its VMM.

I will chat with boB this week on this as I am actually on the Left coast (or is that west coast?)
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Halfcrazy on January 11, 2015, 09:18:21 AM

Update firmware
Do a VMM with MNGP

I will chat with boB this week on this as I am actually on the Left coast (or is that west coast?)

Yes - exactly as Ryan just said.  Once I did the 4th and 1st jumper on both pins , then  reset power and MNGP went through the setup for Solar, setpoints, time and then MNGP loaded up and everything worked fine. Before that the Classic was not doing anything and MNGP was stuck and wouldn't respond to anything.  At that time Local Status App showed 200 volts input for some reason .

All seems okay today and working properly. 
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

I am not sure why doing a hardware VMM would make the MNGP work.

I'll have to look into why that might be.  In fact, I don't think I remember hearing
about this problem and solution ?  Depending on what Classic rev of firmware was there
before updating to the new stuff, I suppose there might be an enable flag that is
the wrong way for communications.

When I find out what this is, it will be a simple matter to make the new firmware look at
the previous revision and fix any changes that would cause this.  The newer firmware already
automatically take care of a couple of inscrinuities but their is obviously another gotchya that
it doesn't take care of.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

I was at the previous firmware before that Bob - 1849 if I remember correctly. I am wondering if I had reset the power first to load up the new firmware and then reset the power again dong the left right buttons VMM  would have made a difference.
The way I did it was loaded the new firmware, then on the next power up I tried the left right button VMM.
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vern Faulkner

Quote from: Halfcrazy on January 11, 2015, 09:18:21 AM

Update firmware
Do a VMM with MNGP

FYI ( I will post this elsewhere) I had to do this after updating to the Nov. 2015 firmware. Very annoying,... was playing for a few hours with the wife's juice-heavy mainframe, re-loading various flavours of firmware. I