Crossover cable questions

Started by Retep, February 05, 2015, 10:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retep

Hello, I'm trying to install a system for a friend, she has a Classic 150 lite, and I was planning to run a cat5 cable from the Classic to a wall plug near her computer desk with the orange and green pairs reversed in the plug so that she can connect her Mac OS-10.7.5 into the wall plug with a regular network cable and access the Classic lite with the Local app.  She does not have a router, or regular internet.  One thing that has confused me is the video of Ryan plugging his laptop straight to a Classic and not mentioning using a crossover cable.  Am I wrong in my understanding?  Also, if I set the dip switches in the Classic lite 150 to custom, what will the IP address of the Classic be?  Can I still use dip switch section 2 to set a static IP?
  Also, on a side note, was there supposed to be a CD in the box with the Classic, or is that old info and it's all on the net? I got the PDF of the Classic manual off the 'net, is there anything else I should have? 
  Thank you so much for your help-  Peter.

Resthome

Quote from: Retep on February 05, 2015, 10:09:56 PM
Hello, I'm trying to install a system for a friend, she has a Classic 150 lite, and I was planning to run a cat5 cable from the Classic to a wall plug near her computer desk with the orange and green pairs reversed in the plug so that she can connect her Mac OS-10.7.5 into the wall plug with a regular network cable and access the Classic lite with the Local app.  She does not have a router, or regular internet.  One thing that has confused me is the video of Ryan plugging his laptop straight to a Classic and not mentioning using a crossover cable.  Am I wrong in my understanding?  Also, if I set the dip switches in the Classic lite 150 to custom, what will the IP address of the Classic be?  Can I still use dip switch section 2 to set a static IP?
  Also, on a side note, was there supposed to be a CD in the box with the Classic, or is that old info and it's all on the net? I got the PDF of the Classic manual off the 'net, is there anything else I should have? 
  Thank you so much for your help-  Peter.

Not sure if this is true for Macs but I would think so. On most PCs (all?) current devices have implemented ethernet auto mdix. The answer is simple: you don't need a crossover cable.

Yeah there should have been a CD, but every thing is on the Midnite site. The problem is the manuals have not been updated to match the latest firmware. The video are the most updated documentation.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

TomW

Resthome is right. Virtually any current hardware will deal with either type cable so crossover or not it should be fine.

Technology advances so fast what was once necessary is now optional.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Retep

The question then is, is a 2008 Mac "current hardware"?  Thank you for your replies.  Can I still use section 2 of the dip switches to set a static known IP on the Classic while section 1 is set to custom?  Thank you so much for your help-  Peter.

Resthome

Quote from: Retep on February 06, 2015, 11:35:42 AM
The question then is, is a 2008 Mac "current hardware"?  Thank you for your replies.  Can I still use section 2 of the dip switches to set a static known IP on the Classic while section 1 is set to custom?  Thank you so much for your help-  Peter.

Can't help with the MAC question and I am not a lite user. But using a static IP on the lite should not be a problem as that is usually the recommended configuration. Give it a try and let us know if you have any issue. I know there are Mac folks here. You will need Adobe Air on the Mac for the Local App. If you are doing firmware updates a PC laptop is the best way to go IMHO.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA