Tesla to sell home battery packs.

Started by mtdoc, February 16, 2015, 06:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ_drinkwater

Ur, put me down for 10 of those panels thanks!
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

Syonyk

The PowerWalls are interesting, useful to Tesla, but basically useless to anyone off grid right now.

At least the first version of them has quite high voltage requirements - 350-450vdc.  They're designed to hang on the solar DC rails coming to a high voltage grid tied inverter.  They don't behave like a typical battery either - you need an inverter that speaks either Modbus or Canbus to command them to charge or discharge.  No "volts & amps" interface like you find with a typical battery pack.

There are one or two inverters on the market that are compatible with it - not that it really matters, because you can't actually get a PowerWall if you want one, unless you reserved one early.

My view on them is that they're a perfect device for people who want to write a large check to have a Tesla PowerWall on the wall of their garage, but they're of marginal use, at best, for anyone off grid, because they run at absurd voltages and you can't talk to them usefully.

BioPower

There are 2 versions of the powerwall one for grid tie and the other for stand alone. They are already on sale in Australia as Tesla see's use as an early and enthusiastic adopter of solar power.
9.5 KW Solar Panels, 2 Midnite Classic 150, 8 KW self-built 8 KW Inverter,  5KW AC coupled grid tie Inverter, Exide 775AH @C5 48V forklift battery

Syonyk

No longer.  They dropped the standby one.

https://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

I know a few units have been installed, but can you actually get one installed in a reasonable time period if you order one today?

BioPower

I am not sure on the time frames to get one, there quite few other suppliers here in Australia as well.

Also I know the local power distributor is trialling Tesla equipment in suburban sub stations, we have some areas here where excess solar power being generated in areas. We have one of the highest uptake rates of grid tie solar here in our part of Australia.
9.5 KW Solar Panels, 2 Midnite Classic 150, 8 KW self-built 8 KW Inverter,  5KW AC coupled grid tie Inverter, Exide 775AH @C5 48V forklift battery

russ_drinkwater

You have not been to my place Bio! ;)
I am getting over run with solar panels and running out of roofspace! :D
Qld's sun is producing all I need most days, on and off grid.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

BioPower

We are having our 2nd week out of 3 with not much sun and lots of dark clouds. Had a few days where I have been getting less than 10% solar than a sunny day. If we where 50 KM inland it would be quite different.

russ_drinkwater

I am inland from Bundaberg in Qld. So we have more sunshine than we need.
Painfully so in summer.
Swap you for some rain and clouds! ;D

BioPower

Like most farmers it is never enough or too much isn't it.