News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Just for cubie

Started by dgd, March 05, 2015, 01:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

I have had some time to play with my new Cubie 2 and it sure is a nice fast and well featured small computer system. Installed Linux, many development tools, Apache, several support libs and quite a few graphics support systems. Added a 120G SSD and expansion breakout board to get easier access to i2c bus.
And it has a real ethernet interface with featured stack (a major step up from the limited Arduino ethernet)
The gcc c++ compiler and vi editor (a proper unix editor!) just make c coding a pleasure and I have just about got my Arduino DUE web server for Classic with analogue gauges display completely ported to the Cubie with Linux.
More soon

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

TomW

I  am really liking my CubieTruck. Lightyears ahead of the Raspberry PI! Rock solid and with the terabyte HD I added it has lots of storage. Still looking to get it to boot from a HD to avoid the  finite write limits on an microSD. Although I have read various theories on this, I am still concerned with the OS on the SD card.

Looking forward to your port of your gauges system to the Cubie.

Been fooling  around with the infrared port on mine. It seems it may be possible to get IR remote control of a system sorted once interactive communications is established.  ;D

Thanks.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

zoneblue

Yes for a little over 1W its a lot of computing in a small package. I bought a spare to play round with and also trying to get the SSD to boot. using this. http://cubieboard.ro/cubian-x-how-to-move-filesystem-to-hdd/
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

dgd

Quote from: TomW on April 22, 2015, 10:51:09 AM
Looking forward to your port of your gauges system to the Cubie.

Hopefully not too far away.
I see there are several options available starting Linux from the hdd interface, I have looked at some of the forum comments and I'm hoping the issues will be solved before I move web development to the Cubie

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

dgd

Tom,

Was just thinking about the analogue gauge display I am using and using it on the Cubie.
The index.htm file that is listed in the Arduino DUE thread contains all the javascript and html to display the gauges and svg info box for a Classic. The only thing needed is the XML file and the details of this are in the sketch I posted. (and of course you will need a web server such as Apache on the cubie)
With RossW's ethernet utility to extract Classic modbus registers it only needs these to update the XML file on a regular basis (aka every few seconds) and the js will insert the data in the web page.
I cant see why this would not work, I'm sort of concentrating on the modbus RTU extraction of registers as I dont enjoy crashing my Classics by using their ethernet interfaces (maybe thats fixed now?). Not sure if you can program this (I can't as I have  never used newmodbus) but I'm sure others here using newmodbus could probably assist if they have the time.

In meantime I am testing the idea of using a nano-Arduino for each Classic/KID to extract data and i2c that to the Cubie for AJAX to insert into gauge/panel/report graphs pages

dgd

TomW

dgd;

Been running newmodbus against 3 Classics for months now with no issues. Running from crond every minute and logging data from all 3 to a flat file.

I am spread pretty thin here because of our relocation, renovating one place and spiffing up the old place to sell so not doing much on these hobby projects like the Cubie and Classic logging / monitoring. With no system at the new place (yet) I won't be able to test against a Classic once we move which, hopefully will be in the next couple weeks. Pretty burnt out on this split occupancy stuff.

It sure is not boring  :o

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dgd

Tom,

You must be very busy with all that work, I just hope you manage to get some relaxing time off as moving homes can be extremely stressful and not a lot of fun.

I have this optimistic view that I can get the Cubie2 up and running a real time display of Classic data and also manage data logging with some nice graph reporting - all via web pages. So maybe there will something for you to test when you get your RE system all operational again  :)

dgd