Buck or Boost DC to DC Converter

Started by keyturbocars, December 13, 2010, 05:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyturbocars

Could one of you explain what this feature is all about?

Buck or Boost DC to DC converter operation available in 2011.

It's listed as #29 on this list of features:

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/pdf.folder/controller%20pdf%20folder/MidniteSolarChargeControllerSpecs.pdf

Halfcrazy

A typical MPPT controller Buck converts (Down Converts) the Input voltage to match the battery voltage. The Classic will boost convert (up convert) the input voltage to a higher battery voltage.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Vic

WOW,  I'd not seen the Boost mode mentioned for some time,  so thought that it had been dropped.

Is all the hardware present in the first units,   ie,  only Firmware update needed ?
Or,  will the early units need hardware mods/additions for Boost ?

Thanks again.   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Quote from: Vic on December 17, 2010, 10:21:28 PM
WOW,  I'd not seen the Boost mode mentioned for some time,  so thought that it had been dropped.

Is all the hardware present in the first units,   ie,  only Firmware update needed ?

Thanks again.   Vic

It's pretty much software, a lot of testing, then more software adjustments and then over again.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ibeweagle

how about a veg oil diesel runing on wvo 28 volts dc 7kw aircraft dc gen on it use to be on army ordnance  APU  2cycl diesel Hazts and boost up to a 48 volt battery bank think it will work to might have to see if can make a automatic renewable energy control box for best combination of wind hydro,solar and vegoil power of coures being carefull not to let the smoke out fuse everything Cheers Mike

laszlo

Quote from: boB on December 18, 2010, 03:14:51 AM

Thanks again.   Vic

It's pretty much software, a lot of testing, then more software adjustments and then over again.

boB

I observed the Classic 200 input/output voltages really close to each other  - like 2V - in U-Set % mode. I believe this would not be possible without boost capability if the Classic was just a straight buck type down-converter. But I think currently, the other charging modes of the Classic currently assume that it's a buck converter so they sweep  6-8 Volts minimum  above the battery voltage.  Seems that the efficiency is higher when the array voltage is at least 6-8 Volts above the battery voltage.
4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

boB

Quote from: laszlo on July 26, 2011, 09:05:06 PM
Quote from: boB on December 18, 2010, 03:14:51 AM
WOW,  I'd not seen the Boost mode mentioned for some time,  so thought that it had been dropped.

Is all the hardware present in the first units,   ie,  only Firmware update needed ?
Or,  will the early units need hardware mods/additions for Boost ?

Thanks again.   Vic

boB

I observed the Classic 200 input/output voltages really close to each other  - like 2V - in U-Set % mode. I believe this would not be possible without boost capability if the Classic was just a straight buck type down-converter. But I think currently, the other charging modes of the Classic currently assume that it's a buck converter so they sweep  6-8 Volts minimum  above the battery voltage.  Seems that the efficiency is higher when the array voltage is at least 6-8 Volts above the battery voltage.

The input to output voltage differential can be extremely low.   That is, if the Low-Max (LMX) feature is enabled  (Tweaks/More).  The lower the current, the lower the differential.  I have even seen the input voltage slightly below the output voltage myself which even surprised me.   Not much lower though, maybe 1/2 Volt and this was at basically 0 current.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me