Robin's stash of history

Started by Robin, April 25, 2015, 07:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin

Ya know, this is a great idea. I don't know who's idea it was, but I have a bunch of stuff laying around my garage that is just colleting dust and getting in the way. I have no idea of its worth or if anyone would want it? Here are some of the items I can remember that are in my garage:
1 double stack OutBack GVFX2524 inverters with all the green sheet metal and autoformer. There is an MX60 there too. It is all in pieces, but I suppose I could probably figure out how to put it back together. There are probably no serial numbers on the inverters. I never waited around for production units. These are some of the first grid tie VFX inverters. They work just fine.

Double stack of Trace Engineering SW4024's on a back panel. This was one of the first pre-wired systems Trace made. It has the Dc250 and a C-40. It even has a Trace communications adapter for the SW's. I think one of the SW's had the fans running 24 hours a day due to a faulty tempo sensor. I just cut the wires to the fans. This can be fixed by someone with more patience than me. Picture attached as it stood on my wall. It is still intact. I guess it will still be in the garage 20 years from now if nobody wants it. It is too heavy to move. Craig Wilburn still repairs these things too. He lives close by. Craig was a warranty tech at Trace back in the good old days.

I think I have the very original U series Trace 2512 too. It was a 2012 that came back for warranty in about 1990 to Trace, There was a blown out part of the side of the insulation on the transformer, so Trace gave the guy a new unit. There was smoke damage all over the unit from the transformer short. I took this unit home and put it through my dishwasher to clean to soot off it. (Mary wasn't very happy with me).  I got the short fixed and used this unit on my desk for the next 6 months to design the adjustable battery charger board and such. It fell off my desk a few times, but didn't seem to hurt it any. I will hook it up to see how it works. I have not used it since the year 1995 or so. We built good stuff at Trace, I suspect 80% of the Trace inverters are still functional.
I have no idea what this stuff is worth, but it should find a home that can actually use it.
Make an offer.
I may even still have the original Rail mount inverter that Bob and I did at Trace. This is the one that the OutBack was based on. I got into an argument with one of the higher up Xantrex ladies regarding what division of Xantrex would be the owner of the tooling on this inverter.  She had me fired the next day. That is when I decided to start Outback. This and one that Bob has are the only rail mount inverters in existence that has Trace Engineering embossed on the plastic top. All others say Xantrex. It is a 1100 watt modified sinewave inverter/charger designed to mount on the frame of long haul trucks. It is a very cool inverter. Exactly the same size as a group 31 battery.
I can get photos of this stuff if you like.
Robin Gudgel

Westbranch

Robin, love the anecdotal comments, and the  other bits of history involved...

ps pm on the way
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

CDN-VT

If we have some Canuks who would like something "That Robin has listed here only " I can bring it up to YVR and then It's across. Nothing else  he has not listed!! .

Im into the 24V inverter system & i'm sure with the folks at Arlington & myself,,,, Mary won't be upset at any destruction .
Kudos to gang & Mr Walt for the friday help.

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

dgd

With all this historic stuff and and its history info what about setting up a museum display with some nice stories attached.
Perhaps placed near to the street entrance to Midnite in an annexe to the reception area.
Wouldn't that give visitors and potential customers that warm fuzzy feeling that they are buying into products from a company that has some worthwhile history  :)
ALthough a free single malt would probably have the same effect  :o

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

ckd_snitch

I love the stuff you have put up especially the display picture with the Double stack of Trace Engineering SW4024's on a back panel. If you ever think about parting with them let me know I'd love them.

Robin

I can let the SW's go for $1000. That includes the C-40, not that they are good for much these days.

Westbranch had a question for me. I have heard that the inverter generators will work with the GVFX inverters. I do not have any personal experience with that set up though.

I really do not get the personal message stuff. Too hard to respond, so if you want to get ahold of me, please e-mail me direct.
robin@midnitesolar.com
Thanks,
Robin
Robin Gudgel

CDN-VT

Sold
I'll be down on the 27th & square up with you.
Donuts for all :-)
Westbranch , left/sent a PM to/for you .
I'll have them up next week , just doing the paper work now

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.

Robin

This works great. Not I can walk through the garage without stubbing my toes on inverters. I have two old OutBack PSR battery boxes that have most of the green panels. I think the center ones are missing, but put together side by side, it doesn't matter.
There is a really old U series 12V unit. That was the original prototype I used in 1990. Trace had a 2012 inverter come back for warranty. There was a defect in the transformer insulation. IT made an awful mess of the unit. they were going to throw it away. I needed something to go by in order to figure out how to turn the 2012 into something that would meet the UL standard. This inverter was so smoky and burnt, I took it home and ran it through the dish washer a couple of times. Boy did I ever catch hell from Mary! Well, it did clean up a lot of the soot, so I took it back to work and proceeded to find and fix the short in the transformer. It came back to life, so I just kept it on my desk. IT did manage to fall off onto the hard ground a couple of times, but didn't seem to hurt it. This unit was used to create the three stage battery charger and all the further changes required to meet UL on the U series inverters. The U series became the  standard that all other inverters were judged by for many years until we came out with the DR and SW series. I haven't fired this thing up for 20 years, but I bet it still works. It ain't worth much, but it is a real inverter. I also have the worlds only black DR inverter. It has a red stripe. The charger doesn't work though. Maybe I can find someone to fix it?
Robin Gudgel

CDN-VT

Back at My Ranch
I picked up all of the stuff from Robins
Great Dayz down in the Arlington , & i finished my last mucking @ 07:15 , made the great white north , 18:30 back with a car full of stuff. Tuiap had a great band from the music of 1960-1990 (wingman ).

VT
While looking on the interWEB for the SW wiring & manuals (Im hung on the SW interface for duel stack & the comms between the boxes & controls [It even has a Trace communications adapter] )  I found this ..
Back to the start :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW0gTVMZaD4

Or enjoy Today : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcIQ152qusQ&feature=youtu.be
I did meet many of these nice folks !!!

Edit add again.
Back At my ranch , Fires are at bay 4-now
Last week , met Craig W & the Girls @ Outback . I have Craig tuning up the SW's etc & the girls supplied me the screws & bits , fan, and a matey to get the g-day mates working . Im almost all back together
again .. These did come like Ikea without the allen wrench
auto-former wiring is my next hurdle, not one marking on the unit , and or the wires !!!

DON'T let the smoke out !

mtdoc

Quote from: CDN-VT on December 15, 2015, 11:08:40 PM
Dropped in to the gang @ the Arlington & was shown the new inverter from Midnight that is component built & such .
Robin showed me the new item on His laptop . It sure looks like this has long lasting possibility's ..
Large numbers in 120/240 ..Alot i missed as Robin can  talk way over my head , as I can crack jokes & many don't get my humor ..

I don't have any Pictures folks , but think of battleship built toughness.

VT

That sounds like good news.  Any update on timeline for release? 

I've got plans for a second largish system to go into my garage - hopefully next year.  Was looking at Outback Radians but this sounds intriguing.  Grid tie/interactive capable as well?
Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2.

CDN-VT

Edit add I goofed up on the edit & deleted  my previous post .
What I saw was the New Midnigt Inverter /Charger /Controller
Build battleship tough

Edit Add 2016/02/21 Midnite ;)  All sold !

onanparts

Quote from: CDN-VT on December 17, 2015, 12:55:43 AM
Im meeting again next week , & i'll chat again With Robin before I post a reply .

I would rater it be true from ( I asked If I could post the Above ) last spring /summer I was asked not , So ,,
I must respect .This i Asked And was told OK .
I'll post next week, on the Maybe date !!
PLEASE
GET
IN
The
Q
/
Line for the Beta ;)

Im kidding folks ,,,

All have a safe & warm Xmas/holiday of how every you enjoy....

VT

Based on CDN-VT's comments......I suppose I can add my own teaser.....was up at Midnite a few days ago and saw a really kool prototype of the meters that will be on the new inverter. Then I just had to pick it up...way too kool! And it was powered on and glowing. :) As Robin stated awhile back I think in the new products area, the inverter will be a game changer.

If considering a Radian or anything else it will be worth the wait. I do have many details but those are for Midnite to reveal when the time is right. They are getting very close though that is for certain.  ;D

I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

ralph day

If only my old Xantrex had hung on for aother six months!   I'm sure I'll suffer inverter envy once I see it and what it can do.  It's pedigree is impecable...Spectra, Trace, Xantrex, Outback, Midnite...what more could one ask? (did I miss any pertinent names?)

Ralph

mtdoc

Sounds like I need to drive over to Arlington myself to have a look!
Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2.

BioPower

Hi Robin,

I have 2 SW4548e inverters, I don't suppose you would have the bits and pieces needed to parallel them lying around?

Gary
9.5 KW Solar Panels, 2 Midnite Classic 150, 8 KW self-built 8 KW Inverter,  5KW AC coupled grid tie Inverter, Exide 775AH @C5 48V forklift battery