Classic 150 communications with Schneider products?

Started by new2PV, May 17, 2015, 09:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2PV

This is too in-depth for me... I have to use a made in china Schneider mppt 60 instead of the classic 150 because of communication incompatibility...I am sad  I can;t use a Midnite solar product :(
Zahn inverters SOLD, looking for something new..

dgd

From an operational viewpoint it's not necessary for an inverter to communicate with a charge controller or vice versa. So your decision seems to be based on insignificant criteria.
If you consider the inability of the classic to communicate its data to the Schneider SCP as a deal breaker then do go with the inferior Schneider mppt controller.
However, if you want a more featured and way better controller with excellent reporting and monitoring software then the classic is the only sensible choice.

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Halfcrazy

DGD
Well said. The 2 items really serve 2 completely different functionbs. Sort of like the gas pump at the gas station and the engine in your car.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

new2PV

Quote from: dgd on May 26, 2015, 10:08:36 PM
From an operational viewpoint it's not necessary for an inverter to communicate with a charge controller or vice versa. So your decision seems to be based on insignificant criteria.
If you consider the inability of the classic to communicate its data to the Schneider SCP as a deal breaker then do go with the inferior Schneider mppt controller.
However, if you want a more featured and way better controller with excellent reporting and monitoring software then the classic is the only sensible choice.

Dgd

This is not entirely true, the XW inverter communicates with the MPPT controller for enhanced grid support  features and shares the BTS sensor data as well, if connected.

Halfcrazy

Not to get to many hopes up but it looks like we may have some good news on this front very soon.

mike90045

Quote from: Halfcrazy on June 27, 2015, 06:23:19 PM
Not to get to many hopes up but it looks like we may have some good news on this front very soon.
Would this require software, or new hardware ?
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Halfcrazy

it would be a firmware update on the classic, and a small communications adapter.

dgd

Quote from: new2PV on June 27, 2015, 06:12:31 PM
... the XW inverter communicates with the MPPT controller for enhanced grid support  features

Ok, I'm not quite sure what that means
So the XW inverter is not providing optimal grid support features unless the MPPT controller is attached and communicting with the XW to enhance those support features?
That would make me think again about buying an XW if I already had a Classic or other non-Schneider MPPT controller.

dgd
btw, the BTS sharing is not that significant, just a minor +
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Halfcrazy

Yeah Schneider did some marketing and added a couple features that are only active if you have what looks like an XW MPPT charger. Of course we all know they could have made them work with out the CC but some bean counter thought it would be a good idea. That may all be changing in the weeks to come

Jay c Swartley

Good Day Ryan,

As you may remember I have the dual Xantrex 6000 (from Midnite) and two classic 200's. I do use the Schneider Combox and am anxious to see this Midnite project come to fruition.  Monitoring the solar side with the Combox is the missing piece but any other added interface would be icing on the cake.

On a side note I see you are not in technical support and have been trying ext 150 but get Racheal's voice mail??

Over night my classics did something ??? They both display "Got Comm??" and do not display any data.  However Local Status panel is showing two working classics now the sun is up.  Also the date and time on both was defaulted back to 2002 and midnite.  Any ideas??

Thank you

Jay Swartley
St John, VI

ClassicCrazy

Jay = do you have the newest   firmware installed on your Classics ? Seems like I saw somewhere that one of the new firmware versions had something that would help eliminate that Got Comm message .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Halfcrazy

Quote from: stjohn on July 23, 2015, 10:57:10 AM
Good Day Ryan,

As you may remember I have the dual Xantrex 6000 (from Midnite) and two classic 200's. I do use the Schneider Combox and am anxious to see this Midnite project come to fruition.  Monitoring the solar side with the Combox is the missing piece but any other added interface would be icing on the cake.

On a side note I see you are not in technical support and have been trying ext 150 but get Racheal's voice mail??

Over night my classics did something ??? They both display "Got Comm??" and do not display any data.  However Local Status panel is showing two working classics now the sun is up.  Also the date and time on both was defaulted back to 2002 and midnite.  Any ideas??

Thank you

Jay Swartley
St John, VI

Jay
I am still XT151 (feel free to call or email anytime)  XT150 is Roy he took my place in tech support

new2PV

Quote from: Halfcrazy on June 28, 2015, 06:12:27 AM
Yeah Schneider did some marketing and added a couple features that are only active if you have what looks like an XW MPPT charger. Of course we all know they could have made them work with out the CC but some bean counter thought it would be a good idea. That may all be changing in the weeks to come

Any update on this, I need to buy another CC and I need the communication feature for running enhanced grid support. Which  means the inverter comes out of ac pass through mode after the batteries have transitioned to float, and starts supplying power to the loads from solar, while keeping the battery at 100% SOC, basically. As the sun goes down the inverter output gradually transitions back to grid.

littleolbitty

You can buy the Schneider xanbus  dealer installed thingy. I have one and installing firmware is not hard at all and you don't need to be an installer to do it. I just wanted to clear the air about that. If you have a Schneider system its well worth the money and makes maintenance on their systems alot easier. I happen to own Schneider and midnite solar product and are happy with both.
      I posted a few months ago about the need for a device to make monitoring a non xanbus device over xanbus. I really hope this comes to fruition soon. I believe that the more we are able to integrate information from multiple manufacturers devices the better. It surely would make my exel spreadsheets a lot smaller and easier to read. Thank to all in this community that strive to help one another. It's a beautiful thing.

jimmyaz