I should have read the manual...

Started by randy.wilson1929, June 26, 2015, 07:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy.wilson1929

My goal is to have a totally off grid small system to power my green house, pond compressor and lights. I would need less than 1000w AC total for my needs. However, I have a Outback GVFX3648 MX-60 and a single 12v Sun Xtender battery that requires a Gid tied AC input to run. I also bought 4 Sunmodule Plus SW 250 poly and mounting hardware for my shed. I would love to sell the inveter and purchase a truely off grid system but I am not sure the best place to advertise. Any help would be appreciated.

dbcollen

You need a VFX, not a GVFX inverter. the VFX is for off grid. You could try contacting outback power and see if they will send you a VFX control board to convert it to a Off grid inverter. Installing boards on outback inverters is not difficult.

Halfcrazy

Actually a GVFX will work fine off grid the issue would be if you tried to use a generator to charge the battery. With a GVFX you could disable sell and have an offgrid inverter but you would also need a 48v battery as you bought a 48v inverter.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

vtmaps

Quote from: Halfcrazy on June 26, 2015, 11:42:55 AM
Actually a GVFX will work fine off grid the issue would be if you tried to use a generator to charge the battery. With a GVFX you could disable sell and have an offgrid inverter but you would also need a 48v battery as you bought a 48v inverter.

The GVFX can be used with a generator, BUT the generator must have a really clean stable output (in other words: an inverter-generator).   

If you go that route, I believe that some of the nicer features of a VFX will be missing... the VFX does a really nice job of respecting the generator's capacity.

dbcollen is quite correct that a GVFX can be converted to a VFX... that probably makes the most sense for you (assuming you still want to be a 48 volts).

--vtMaps

Westbranch

VT, which features would be missing if he stayed with the GVFX rather than converting to a VFX?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

vtmaps

Quote from: Westbranch on June 27, 2015, 11:41:10 AM
VT, which features would be missing if he stayed with the GVFX rather than converting to a VFX?

Not really sure... I don't have a GVFX. The business of limiting draw from the generator and ramping up slowly MAY be missing from an inverter that is not meant to work with generators.

--vtMaps

randy.wilson1929

Thanks for the information; it was a gift from my son-in-law. I don't want to invest in 3 more batteries so I'll probably sell it and research a smaller unit. Anybody want to buy a hardly used GVFX3648?  :)

animatt

Hello I would be interested in it.  But kind of weary about you being a new member here.

Any more info on the unit.  Date of production.  Maybe a picture of your inverter.

Thanks
matthew wright