Using newmodbus on RPi Questions

Started by TeslasPigeons, June 30, 2015, 06:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeslasPigeons

Hello all - 

I'm very interested in using the newmodbus as designed by RossW (I believe).  I have found the installation instructions as written on the wiki page for the blackboxproject.  My question is, is it necessary to do the full LAMP stack install if I just want to export the data to a text file locally on my RPi?  Ideally I'd like to grab the data being dumped by my classic 150 and place it in a text file and then use python or shell scripting to manipulate it a bit before FTPing to my own personal server.  Is that possible?  Thank you for any help you guys can offer me, I have spent the day trying to figure it out by reading through the forums before starting a new thread.

dgd

When I last tried newmodbus (a long time ago) it was executable from a shell prompt. So if you are not using the LAMPs components such as Mysql, Apache and PHP  then there is no needs to load those lamps components or the complete LAMPS stack.
You could just write a cron'd shell script or a small C program/python program,  use a system call to execute newmodbus and redirect its output to a file or whatever.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

RossW

Absolutely... and that's all I do too.

Executable, no other bits loaded or required. No modbus library, nothing.
newmodbus can in fact write to a local file without needing to redirect the output, although in a unix environment it makes little difference.
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine