Need help completing solar installation in Philippines

Started by ke6cvh, July 07, 2015, 02:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ke6cvh

Hello all,

First an explanation is due on what the pieces and parts are.
1) I was running a solar/generator powered makerspace in Bahrain so some of the parts/pieces are currently in transit from Bahrain to the Philippines
2) I already have 4kw in unisolar BIPV panels installed on the upper portion of the standing seam metal roof.
3). I have 4kw of a different brand flexible stick-on type solar panel en route there from Bahrain where I was working for the USMC as a contractor.  I had installed grommets on these and put them on top of shipping containers tied down.  These are not the correct width to install in the seams of the roof like the unisolar panels.  My intention is to cut the corners off the panels so the grommets will no longer be in the way then attach 4' x 8' sheets of sheet metal to the standing seam roof along the bottom 8ft of same roof.  Peel off stickers were never used. The roof material was made to order so I could go to same manufacturer and get a new part made same color but wider seams is one option.
4). No other equipment in Philippines at this time but also enroute are two dc breaker boxes from Midnight solar, DC disconnect box, one classic 150 charge controller, two Outback GTFX-2524 inverters, and a meanwell 2kw 24vdc power supply.  It looks like I am stuck with 24vdc wether I like it or not if existing inverters are to be used.  I am currently planning on buying a second midnight classic 150 and potentially a second meanwell power supply (will explain later for that).  The meanwell allowed me to connect a military tactical deisel generator that did not meet requirements for grid power.
5) Philippines is 60hz but not 120vac.  It is advertised to be 220vac/60hz.  My understanding is that two connected GTFX-2524's will work 120/240 and this is not the same as 220.  It sounds like I will need to use a custom step up transformer to use and grid tie.  Does this sound correct?  Then there is the custom transformer outback makes to allow sharing at 120 which really complicates things.  I dont expect to use mad amounts at 120 and am thinkin I can get by isoating the two 120 outputs instead of a fancy set up like the outback transformer which does not look suitable anyways.
6). It has been so long since doing the installation....will I need a second current shunt and a second DC discconnect box or will the second classic 150 be able to share that same current shunt and I will just need to change breaker sizes in it? The second midnight classic will have the 4kw of the second type panel and the first classic 150 will have 4kw of the first type.  What a mess but I want to put these outback GTFX's to good use.
7) now here is where it gets weird (er).  I am buying a Hypertherm powermax plasma cutter to cut 1/4 inch plate steel (eventually on a CNC plasma cutter table) to make rotors for axial flux alternators (cool RE stuff mostly used in wind).  The power drain is over 10kw and an extension cord for one of these running from 220 is a minimum 8awg.  So how do I get so much power?  My current thought is to allow the power from the grid, simultaneous power from the panels, and two cheap generators into two paralleled meanwell power supplies and have an industrial outlet with breaker for when the plasma cutter is in use during the day time.   I know how to adjust the output of the meanwells like already done so it takes from solar first and meanwell only when that is not enough.

Is it possible to pass grid power while adding the output of the two GTFX-2524's?  If so, the 5kw from the two inverters plus the power from the grid will handle the power consumption of the plasma cnc table.

Best regards,
Mike

ke6cvh

I wonder if I can use one of these off of each GTFX2524 in parallel to feed the 220/60 philippine power?  It is surely made from CCA, copper coated aluminum, windings but if it is "rated" at 5000va I would hope 2500 is not overloading it.  Secondary is switchable to handle the line voltages in different regions.  What is the voltage tolerance on the GTFX?  I am worried I may need two giant variacs.

Mike

ke6cvh

Ok, the manual was throwing me off.  Also I forgot to mention I have a single outback mate end not a hub yet.  In the manual it was saying cannot stack when used in grid tie.  However this legacy manual talks about doing it but needing a hub to accomplish it so if I understand I will need to buy one.  Looking at the wiring it appears I can use 240 in and after in series get 240 out.  But, can I also get 120 from the first GTFX only or both?  I think the answer is 120 from the first which is plenty if that is correct.  Also it has a voltage range listed as >=105.6 - 132=< It lists a +/- 2hz but later learned it is much tighter to be able to sell to the grid.  Bottom line is it appears I will not need any transformers if I do not have a grid that sags below 211vac.  I will have to do some further research but it looks at a minimum I need to buy a hub and potentially some breakers of different ratings.  I still do not know if that one shunt will work with two Midnight classic 150's or if I need a second DC shunt as well.  I think I still do not know if the two series GTFX's can operate in sell back mode while also using grid power for a very high load during operation of the plasma table cutter.
Best regards,
Mike

ke6cvh

Talked to outback tech support and got almost every question answered.