PV voltage display with PV breaker off

Started by Aussierob, July 22, 2015, 04:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussierob

Sorry,
More questions. I am load testing my batteries so have my 6.6 amp load on. This is to see how much run time I get until the low voltage disconnect is activated. As part of this test I have turned off the PV breaker to disconnect the panels from the Kid. The Kid is displaying a solar voltage of 10.9 volts. I measure 11.5 volts. Any known reason for this? I would have thought the PV display voltage would be zero with the breaker off. On the solar panel side of the breaker I have about 70 volts. There is no connection between any of the negatives.

Thanks,
Rob :)

Resthome

Quote from: Aussierob on July 22, 2015, 04:15:06 PM
Sorry,
More questions. I am load testing my batteries so have my 6.6 amp load on. This is to see how much run time I get until the low voltage disconnect is activated. As part of this test I have turned off the PV breaker to disconnect the panels from the Kid. The Kid is displaying a solar voltage of 10.9 volts. I measure 11.5 volts. Any known reason for this? I would have thought the PV display voltage would be zero with the breaker off. On the solar panel side of the breaker I have about 70 volts. There is no connection between any of the negatives.

Thanks,
Rob :)

I don't have a Kid but on the Classic it is normal to see a voltage here with no PV connected. I believe it is based on the battery bank voltage.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

SM-Viper

Rob,

I too have a Kid, and this is said to be normal. I asked the same question here before, and that was the response.  I'll try to find it for you.

-Sean
12v Off grid backup system and "playground"
(4) 245 watt Solar World panels 2x2
(2) 6v Deka 215 AH golf cart batteries series
(1) Kid CC
(1) MNDC125 DC Disconnect, all 2/0 wire
wbjr and 500A shunt all breakers
(1) MNPV3 combiner box.

SM-Viper

12v Off grid backup system and "playground"
(4) 245 watt Solar World panels 2x2
(2) 6v Deka 215 AH golf cart batteries series