2 strings in Series connected in Parallel

Started by svencool, August 13, 2015, 09:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svencool

Hello just getting started and I have 4 100w panels. I also have a Classic 150 CC and I was told that it made more sense to have 2 strings in series and then connected in parallel. So I wanna check and make sure I have them hooked up right.

So Do I take the pos and neg from 2 panels and hook them together? Then do the same for the other set of panels. Then Do I take the positives and negatives from each string and hook them together with Branch connectors and then hook up to my lines going to my charge controller?

Thanks Mike,

Westbranch

you seem to have it right... don't forget circuit protection on all positive cables at a minimum...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Resthome

Quote from: svencool on August 13, 2015, 09:57:08 PM
Hello just getting started and I have 4 100w panels. I also have a Classic 150 CC and I was told that it made more sense to have 2 strings in series and then connected in parallel. So I wanna check and make sure I have them hooked up right.

So Do I take the pos and neg from 2 panels and hook them together? Then do the same for the other set of panels. Then Do I take the positives and negatives from each string and hook them together with Branch connectors and then hook up to my lines going to my charge controller?

Thanks Mike,

If you have MC4 connectors on your panels you would make the two string by connecting the Pos connect of one panel to the Neg of the second panel that makes one string with two panel in series. Do the same for the second set. You now have two (2) strings of four (4) in Series. If you buy two extension MC4 cables and cut both of them in half you will have four cable - 2 with Positive connects and 2 with Negative connectors. These cable will now match up to the Pos & Neg that are remaining on each string. The Positive and Negative of each string should now go to a Combiner box with two DC breakers (one for each string). The combiner box will connect the two string in parallel and the combiner output pos goes to another DC Breaker and then to the Classic 150 PV Pos and the combiner output neg goes to the Classic 150 PV Neg.

There are diagrams on the Midnite site that you might want to refer to.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA