PWM only Classic

Started by dgd, August 17, 2015, 05:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

What about a Midnite large PWM only charge controller?
Something in the 80 to 120 amp range with 12,24,48 volt support.
Logic being that pvs are now so cheap that the need for mppt controllers will soon be best suited for limited PV space applications ie rvs, boats and homes with limited sun visible space.
In an area where space for pvs is not an issue then mppt offers doubtful advantage compared to simply adding more pvs and use a simpler and lower cost PWM type controller.
Perhaps time for Midnite to resurrect a more up to date version of the late 90s Heliotrope CC120 controller.

I can see it now, in the existing Classic case with simplified MNGP.

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Westbranch

Hey DGD, I see what you want and agree that , especially in warm climates that is a reasonable option, but up here in the Frozen North.... MPPT shines in winter compared to PWM. 
Another caveat is you would have to be running true 12 or 24V panels (48?) ;)

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

dgd

Wb,

I think there will always be a place for decent mppt controllers but right now only Morningstar (apart from a sleuth of Chinese/Taiwanese offerings) provide any half decent PWM controllers although at 60amps thats a bit limited. They also lack any online stats/reporting capability apart from a fairly limited use small lcd display.

Have been thinking for some time about building a PWM controller in the 120 amp range, using a control arm processor to give it some nice reporting and setup features. A PWM algorithmn looks fairly straightforward to implement.
Be nice to have it work in cooperative mode with a Classic for charge stage alignment and also to have some auxiliary power output capability for other loads such as water heating etc..

Anyway, would be good if MN had such as offering but its more likely a project for me in the queue just behind the Oztules 6Kw 48v sine wave inverter I have just started with  :D
Be nice to make use of those decent looking FETS and associated heatsinks left over from the InspireSolar GTI de-construction  :P

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

Robin

Back on 2000, bob was actually workong on  a large bang bang charge controller that would have used a mercury displacement relay i read on some forum that rv power products daod they could not make a more powerful mppt. On that day, bob started on the outback mx60. My goal since then has been to rid the world of pwm contrpllers
After mario completes his three controller designs now on his plate we can look at tjis possibility
I am answering things on the forum this morning because i locked the leys on my car at the car wash and am now waiting for bob to come bail me out.
Robin Gudgel

CDN-VT

Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

dgd

Quote from: Robin on January 30, 2016, 12:27:08 PM
After mario completes his three controller designs now on his plate we can look at tjis possibility

I assume one of them is the big KID that was talked about some time ago?

I was thinking about an 80 to 200amp PWM controller. Mainly because the cost of PVs has dropped so much. Maybe stackable or slaved to smarter device such as Classic next gen.
One Classic or Kid working mppt with its own PV array then charge state control being passed to networked PWM controller(s) on separate arrays. Perhaps the processor in the mppt controller managing diversion of power from PWM controller to other purpose, charging EV (vehicle, bicycle etc), hot water, heating, fuel cell etc..
dgd

Robin

I am still hopefull tp get down to auckland soon. If that happens you can twist my a about pwm. I dont see much of a market for it but i could be wrong.
Robin Gudgel

niel

pwm has their place, but it is beating a dead horse. the only way it would probably make sense for midnite to do it is if they break the price barriers on these basic regulators.

boB

Robin, did you ever get your car out of hock at the car wash ?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Quote from: Robin on May 07, 2016, 04:31:30 PM
I am still hopefull tp get down to auckland soon. If that happens you can twist my a about pwm. I dont see much of a market for it but i could be wrong.

oops, missed this post.. If you do plan an Auckland visit, perhaps your Winter when it will be Summer here then would enjoy meeting you and if you had time could visit a couple of local small RE homes using Classic and other MN stuff

dgd

laszlo

Power conversion is no longer the frontier; it  is power storage. I would love  to see the best minds at Midnite engaged in some sort of photosynthesis project  If we could store PV power in synthetic carbohydrates such as alcohol or gasoline, then today's best batteries, such as those prospected to be made in Tesla battery factory in Nevada, could be beaten. I see a huge opportunity in this space and plenty of capital thanks to Bill Gates foundation. 
4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

phonetic

Also PWM charge regs can be RF quiet, increasing slew rate of switching
Home:
3.04kW Grid Tie.
Weekender:
6.08kW Off Grid. DC & AC coupled
32 of 190W (12+12 Array DC) (8 Array AC)
Midnite Classic 150 & Classic Lite 150
1.5KW AC coupled Grid Inverter
8 of 600 amp hour Surrette S600 flooded cell battery bank 24 volt 1200 amphour
Outback VFX3024E Inverter Charger, Mate 2.

off-grid-geeks

All of the larger sized solar modules I've seen (200+ watts) all output over 30 volts. How will a PWM only CC feed that to a 12 volt, or even a 24 volt battery bank? One of the best features of MPPT is its ability to take high voltages and feed 12 and 24 volt banks. It only gets harder if the modules are wired in series, my solar array feeds 100+ volts into the CC. Isn't that what the Classic model numbers mean, 150, 200, and 250 volt input maximums. How will a PWM only feed those voltages to a 12 or 24 or even 48 volt battery bank?

Looking to learn...

Robin

You have just hit on the problem. PWM charges require 12V solar panels. Those are not so cheap.
Robin Gudgel

Vic

I completely agree with dgd,  about the need for a high output  PWM CC,  with good communication abilities,  and battery Sense Terminals.

In the past year,  or so,  there are a number of PV manufacturers that have returned to making  high power 72-Cell PVs.  For 24 V and 48 V systems these 72 cell PVs are perfect.

Here is an example:
http://www.solar-electric.com/solarworld-sunmodule-sw-315-monocrystalline-solar-panel.html

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!