PWM only Classic

Started by dgd, August 17, 2015, 05:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoneblue

Yeah im in too. With 72 cell panels and 24 or 48V systems, short cables, youre right on the MPP most of the time.

The thing about MPPT is that it works with any old panels. But you design your system once, and after that the MPPT lives within a very tight band, which basically wastes the controller.

As far as MPPT goes I think to be honest a lot of trouble could be saved by simply telling the controller what the array Vmp is, and let it hang out there.

But I accept that marketing bling will probably prevail.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

dgd

Quote from: zoneblue on July 25, 2016, 09:25:23 PM

The thing about MPPT is that it works with any old panels. But you design your system once, and after that the MPPT lives within a very tight band, which basically wastes the controller.

As far as MPPT goes I think to be honest a lot of trouble could be saved by simply telling the controller what the array Vmp is, and let it hang out there.

With many designs it's so easy (cheap) to over panel that the need to often seek the mpp is unnecessary and in doing so (sweeping) actually reduces overall power input hence efficiency.

Since mppt is only effective during bulk then the voltage limiting charge stages make the controller just a DC to DC converter with PWM current limiting then maybe that's what the design of a new simplified controller should be.
Maybe there could be some argument for a voltage converter front end, Buck and Boost, for the long cable runs or use of cheaper 60 cell PVs, but since 36/72 cell PVs are still cheap I would vote for a simple design but decent 120 to 200 amp output range
Of course the need for a decent Cpu is still there and I'd still include WBjr/shunt for charge current control, a decent number of basic aux controls including force float for multi controller use, a direct battery connected voltage sensing, and some reasonable web reporting of running data as well as logging.
Enet and serial ports would be good and maintaining modbus registers (can't believe I suggested that!)

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand