Locating the Mini-B USB socket on the KID controller to update the firmware

Started by nlt999, August 17, 2015, 02:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nlt999

Maybe everyone else in the world knows this, but we had a hard time locating the socket to plug the Mini-USB connector into the KID to update the firmware.  I looked in the FAQ and FORUM on the MidNite website but could find no help.  All we found was that we were supposed to plug the cable into the bottom of the KID...... no specific info on how to find the socket, and it wasn't visible when looking at the bottom of the KID mounted in the wall-mount adapter.

Eventually we found that by popping out the small rectangular 'panel' at the bottom-left of the wall-mount adapter, and looking straight up from directly underneath with a flashlight, we could see the socket which is mounted on the printed circuit board directly above the small rectangular hole in the case of the KID itself.

I am posting this in case it helps someone else in the future.

Nick
Off-grid system, near Dayton MT.  Batteries: 4 Deka 8L16 flooded 6V, 370Ahr in series (24V sys).  Controller is KID with Temp Sensor, shunt and Whizbang Jr.  Inverter: Xantrex DR-1524.  Panels: 2 Chaori 280W, 24V in series (48V into KID).  System is light-load, est. about 2.2 KWHr per day avg. use.

Doug

Hi Nick,

If others are searching for it. Page 19 of the manual shows the location of the USB plug.

-D

nlt999

True Doug (latest version 1797 manual), but our problem was that we couldn't see that without removing the snap-out  panel of the wall-mount adapter, and then we could see the hole, but not the socket until getting under it and looking straight up with a flashlight.  Couldn't find any helpful instructions anywhere... just simply said to "plug the cable into the bottom of the KID".

Also, our KID is new, direct from MidNite and we assumed it would have the latest firmware installed.  Turns out that the firmware is way back at version 1733!  We're a bit disappointed in MidNite, and their documentation in general.... leaves a lot to be desired.
Off-grid system, near Dayton MT.  Batteries: 4 Deka 8L16 flooded 6V, 370Ahr in series (24V sys).  Controller is KID with Temp Sensor, shunt and Whizbang Jr.  Inverter: Xantrex DR-1524.  Panels: 2 Chaori 280W, 24V in series (48V into KID).  System is light-load, est. about 2.2 KWHr per day avg. use.

Vic

Updating the Firmware on the KID is SOooooo  easy,  and it is good to gain familiarity with the process early in your application,  as the KID gets a lot of attention by the MidNite crew.   Features are often added and improved.

IMO,  the Documentation has gotten better and better ...

MidNite  is a very aggressive company,  and they seem to be constantly adding new products  and improving many of them,  frequently.   This can create a bit of a lag in documentation.

One of the great functions of MidNite,  as a company,  is this Forum,  which has frequent participation form top Engineering talent,  and Founders  --  this is quite unusual,  and a great benefit.

AND,  there are a number of others here who are willing to try to help.

Thanks MidNite for the great products,  service,  and support!

But,  that is just my take.   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

BillH

I see this is an old topic but it doesn't seem to have been addressed. I had to update the firmware on my Kid last evening (since it had frozen and drained my batteries) and only because I had seen this thread earlier in the week was I able to find the USB port -- and then only after removing the Kid from the wall to set it horizontally, aim my flashlight at the spot and change from my progressive glasses to some strong reading glasses.

I don't see anything about the location of the port on Page 19 of the manual like Nick mentioned.

If firmware updates are expected to be performed by end users this port should be more easily accessed and it should be clearly documented -- including in the upgrade instructions.

KyleM

Quote from: BillH on June 29, 2018, 09:51:17 AM
I see this is an old topic but it doesn't seem to have been addressed. I had to update the firmware on my Kid last evening (since it had frozen and drained my batteries) and only because I had seen this thread earlier in the week was I able to find the USB port -- and then only after removing the Kid from the wall to set it horizontally, aim my flashlight at the spot and change from my progressive glasses to some strong reading glasses.

I don't see anything about the location of the port on Page 19 of the manual like Nick mentioned.

If firmware updates are expected to be performed by end users this port should be more easily accessed and it should be clearly documented -- including in the upgrade instructions.

FYI in the newest manual the image in on page 21  that shows where the USB port is located.

Sometimes when documentation is updated things will shift a page or two from where they previously were.

KyleM
http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/kid_manual_rev_1856.pdf

BillH

I did see that page before I posted my comment, but I didn't recognize it as anything like my unit -- though my unit is at the cabin and I'm not.

The USB port is on the bottom left of my unit; the picture on page 21 shows it as being on the bottom right, though maybe they are showing only an internal circuit board and not the whole unit. At any rate it would not have helped me find the port on my Kid.

FNG

That image is a view from the back side of the kid with the cover off. I guess we need to add the words "As seen from the back side" on that image.

ricardo

IMO .. the wall mount kit should come with a short USB cable that extends the USB connector into the wall mount cable area  -- just a short one that you could also poke through the cutout .. (something nice with a plastic cover so it doesn't short anything).

I now have a permanently attached cable bundled and tucked away in the corner of the wall mount cable area so i can do future firmware updates without having to remove the KID from the wall.

All the connections should be exposed in the wall mount cable area (aux, bts, master, wbjr)