array upgrade solar panel electrical characteristics

Started by WillEert, September 22, 2015, 09:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillEert

I am going to increase the output of my system. At present I have 24 ET 185 w panels wired in 8 parallel strings of 3 panels in series. Due to racking considerations  I want to add 6 Heliene 72m 310 w panels and rewire to 6 parallel strings of 5 panels in series. Each string would be 4 ETs and 1 Heliene. The ET and Heliene Vmp are 36.29V and 36.77V respectively. I would have to get 2 Classic 250s to permit this configuration. The Imp are 5.11 and 8.43 A respectively. My question is about the amp flow. Does the string amps go to the higher level of the Helienes? Or possibly it is limited by the ETs to the lower amp flow? Maybe it settles out somewhere in between? I am thinking about sizing the fuses for the strings but if the amps does not go to the Heliene lmp rate then I am not going to get the watts out of  the panel that it is rated for.

Thanks for any replys.

Will
(1)24 ET 185 mono, Classic 150,8x Surrette 6CS25p, 4x Magnum 4448, homecooked diversion system;(2)15 Heliene 330 mono,Classic 150;(3)2X6 Hansol345mono, 2 stand alone Hotspot ACDC12C Minisplit heat pumps.(4)15 Hanwha Q cell 400 1/2 cell, Classic 200: (5)1X6 HanwhaQcell 400 1 Hotspot minisplit ACDC18C

Resthome

In a series circuit, the current through each of the components is the same, and the voltage across the circuit is the sum of the voltages across each component. In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each of the components is the same, and the total current is the sum of the currents through each component.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Vic

Quote from: WillEert on September 22, 2015, 09:44:34 AM
I am going to increase the output of my system. At present I have 24 ET 185 w panels wired in 8 parallel strings of 3 panels in series. Due to racking considerations  I want to add 6 Heliene 72m 310 w panels and rewire to 6 parallel strings of 5 panels in series. Each string would be 4 ETs and 1 Heliene. The ET and Heliene Vmp are 36.29V and 36.77V respectively. I would have to get 2 Classic 250s to permit this configuration. The Imp are 5.11 and 8.43 A respectively. My question is about the amp flow. Does the string amps go to the higher level of the Helienes? Or possibly it is limited by the ETs to the lower amp flow? Maybe it settles out somewhere in between? I am thinking about sizing the fuses for the strings but if the amps does not go to the Heliene lmp rate then I am not going to get the watts out of  the panel that it is rated for.

Thanks for any replys.
Will

Hi Will,

When adding PVs:

When adding PVs in SERIES,  the Vmp should be within 5%,  ideally, and not more than 10% maximum difference.  So,  if you were adding PVs with that large an Imp difference,  you would have the Imp of the PV with the lowest Imp.

For adding PVs in parallel,  ideally,  one would use a PV  with a Vmp within 5% of the other,  and not greater than 10% different.

SO,  adding those new Heliene PVs in series would seem to be a very poor match,  BUT,  as an additional parallel string,  they would appear to be a very good match.

To add one new PV to each existing string,  you should try for a 5% Imp match,  IMO.
And,  in  a perfect world,  suppose that if the ETs are Poly,  then,  the added PVs probably should really be Poly,  and the same applies if the ETs are Monos (many would say).

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

WillEert

Thanks for the replies to my question. I realized after asking it yesterday that I could wire the new string in parallel which resolves the amp mismatch. It also means I do not have to obtain quite a bit of higher voltage rated BOS equipment which is very good for me. I had been thinking of dc diversion at about 220V into a hot water tank and had not rethought the strings when this proved not possible.

Thanks again.

Will
(1)24 ET 185 mono, Classic 150,8x Surrette 6CS25p, 4x Magnum 4448, homecooked diversion system;(2)15 Heliene 330 mono,Classic 150;(3)2X6 Hansol345mono, 2 stand alone Hotspot ACDC12C Minisplit heat pumps.(4)15 Hanwha Q cell 400 1/2 cell, Classic 200: (5)1X6 HanwhaQcell 400 1 Hotspot minisplit ACDC18C